What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool Selections

bamajenk

I'm planning on building in the coming year. I've looked at the required tool list from Van's, but have a question for other first-time builders:

Did you purchase a prepackaged kit from one of the supply houses, or did you piece the necessary tools together from multiple sources?

Any thoughts add to the process! Thanks!

Got mine from Cleveland

I purchased a tool kit from Cleveland. I was a first time builder, and you really don't even know what you need, until you need it. It's nice to have the proper tool lying around, so you don't have to stop the progress while waiting for the UPS truck.

Good luck, it's a blast!

I'm planning on building in the coming year. I've looked at the required tool list from Van's, but have a question for other first-time builders:

Did you purchase a prepackaged kit from one of the supply houses, or did you piece the necessary tools together from multiple sources?

Any thoughts add to the process! Thanks!

Bought a tool kit then started adding to it almost from day one. The kits will get you started but you will still need a LOT more tools. Set aside a lot of money for tools. I don't think a month went buy when I didn't buy some special tool.

Just remember, when you catch yourself saying, "I don't have the correct tool but I can make so-and-so work." Stop right there and order the correct tool, even if it is not in the budget. Otherwise you will bugger up the part, then order the correct tool and a replacement part. Go ahead, ask me how I know this to be true.

I?ve been flying for two years and I?m still buying special tools for the plane.

the best tool

The best tool is the "search button" on these forums. (You have sent Doug your donation, right?) Check the forum on tools for many hours of reading pleasure. Everything from tool kits to specialty tools to air compressors. I recommend attending a builders class before buying tools to help decide what kit to buy. I attended the Grov-Air weekend class near Indianapolis.

<SNIP>Just remember, when you catch yourself saying, "I don't have the correct tool but I can make so-and-so work." Stop right there and order the correct tool, even if it is not in the budget. Otherwise you will bugger up the part, then order the correct tool and a replacement part. Go ahead, ask me how I know this to be true.<SNIP>

Amen to that. The "required tool lists" produced by Van's and the the tool vendors DO NOT include all of the tools you will need, even for the empennage. The builders class is a good idea and I'd also recommend getting the preview plans and going over them 2 or 3 times before ordering.

In addition to what's in the kits I'd recommend:

*dimple dies and countersink cutters for the various types of blind rivets
*vise-grip-type dimpling tool AND "Pop"-rivet dimpling tool AND "close quarters" female dimpling die (sometimes only one will get in tight spaces)
*automatic center punch (for knocking out bad rivets)

When I decided to build, I knew it would be a while before I could order my tail kit. I spent about 8 months monitoring eBay for good deals on tools. I ended up with some good stuff and a few pieces of junk. I did save $100 on a brand new DRDT-2 (it took a while for one of those to show up on eBay).

I certainly would not try to buy all of your tools on eBay, but you might save a little $$ on certain items if you're patient. Keep an eye on the classifieds forum here on VAF as there are usually tools and tool kits that go up for sale. VAF members are infinitely more trustworthy than a stranger on eBay IMO and you'll probably have a better chance of getting the right tools. I bought 400 used clecoes from a VAF member and saved about $80.

As always, YMMV.

I found the Avery kit had everything I needed for the -8 tail, after adding a few other items like 4" no hole and longeron yoke.

Thanks for the good tips folks!

I did join EAA 1st thing, and a friend is a 20-year member here. I'm just looking to save some nickels...Harbor Freight has many of the recommended tools at a serious discount to the larger suppliers.

I recognize the quality may sometimes be amiss at HF, but even with replacements there might be a few $100's in savings, along with the e-bay searches as well.

Any other real cost cutters out there?

Any other real cost cutters out there?
Most good tool companies, certainly Cleaveland and Avery, allow you to eliminate anything from the kits you don't want. For example:

1. Avoid the silly things like acyrlic dimple die and rivet set holders that often come with the kits. You can drill holes in a block of wood yourself for free.
2. Buy the R/L aluminum snips from Lowes or Home Depot. Same brand, much lower price when I bought mine a number of years ago.
3. Avoid buying sharpies, scotch tape or tape holders unless they are reasonably priced compared to your local office supply store.

4. Harbor Freight is good for:
a. air compressor fittings and swivels
b. pull riveters that you can grind down the nose on without losing sleep (I would delete the expensive pull riveters often included in the kits, unless you're building a -12 or other model that uses a lot of pulled rivets.)
c. various pneumatic tools that are not used very often
d. misc clamps--especially the vise-grip type

Like Bill said above, plan on buying more tools as you go. $3-4 thousand or so in tools by the time you are done is probably reasonable.

get the kit...

I just got my RV builder's kit from Avery last week. I took a bunch of stuff off the default list - stuff that I already had, and added a bunch of nice to have stuff. They were great to work with over the phone. Quality tools are expensive, but they will last a lifetime (or two). I got a bunch of tools from my Dad, and I'm sure I'll be handing down these tools to my kids (or their kids eventually).

If saving money is your objective, avoid the kits and buy piecemeal, some off Ebay & some from each of the various suppliers, but keeping shipping costs in mind. And you don't need a Sioux drill; there are usually several air drills on Ebay that will do just fine--search for "palm drill". The 3AL1 from Ingersoll Rand is a good one, about the size of the Sioux and usually goes for about $100. Dotco is a good brand, but look carefully at the size, using the size of the chuck for comparison. Rockwell is also good.

If convenience & simplicity is your objective, go with Avery but delete their squeezer & get the main squeeze from Cleveland (unless you go for the pneumatic squeezer). As some have said, you'll still need more stuff.

Just one opinion.

Ebay worked for me

During the 6 months prior to receiving my tail kit, I made a spreadsheet comparing Van's list and the contents of all the "complete" off the shelf tool kits, and then whittled out the fluff (sharpies, tape....jeez ).

Three ebay purchases later, I had WAY more than any single tool kit, for enough less than tool kit prices to easily afford a DRDT-2. The best part is that I got tool selections and quantities that I would not have normally ordered. Some have been very handy.

I've been giving away new drills and drill stops, and threaded drills to a few local EAA friends, for example.

Shop, man, shop.

DONT by an oil less compressor if you value your hearing and your neighbors :eek:

Like Bill said above, plan on buying more tools as you go. $3-4 thousand or so in tools by the time you are done is probably reasonable.

This is probably pretty close to correct, I think I'm closer to about $5k total now, but I bought almost all my stuff new, and I'm a tool whore anyway. :D I bought a new bandsaw and drillpress for this project, as my old ones were just about junked out. Add in a good compressor to the list on top of everything else, and it adds up quick.

One more thing: If you are willing to buy used, then for tools like a drill press, compressor and band saw that are used for lots of things other than building RV's, watch Craigslist. I got a 10" Craftsman table saw with lots of extra goodies and a 4" belt sander on it's own stand for about $125. Also got a very nice, barely used Delta miter saw for $85 (and for small parts, it does a great job cutting aluminum, straight cuts, no wandering).

E-Bay IF you know what you want

I don't think you can go wrong buying a complete kit from Avery or one of the other tool companies if you're not on a tight budget.

I'm on a tight budget so most of my purchases have been on e-bay and I've been very happy with what I've gotten. I've also bought many tools from Avery and Cleaveland and from other members here (got my CP-214 squeezer from a member here and I love the dang thing!).

I collected tools for a year before I got my empennage kit. If you're going the peacemeal way, the most important advice I can give is to study the tool lists recommended by Van's and the tool companies and to read the tool section of this forum and know exactly what you're looking for before shopping. The only bad experience I've had came from not knowing exactly what I wanted when I bought several tools from a prominent RV builder that was unloading his less than desirable tools (plastic nose crimpers, HVAC hand seamer, etc.).

The most I usually pay is 25% of retail for used and 50% for new. I've not had a bad purchase on e-bay yet but maybe I'm just lucky. Sure is fun getting 7 countersink cages (one new) for less than the price of one.

Planetools.com

Isham at Planetools.com is the way to go.

I picked up a few specialty tools from here at VAF, but I also bought the rv tool kit from Isham. He has been marvelous to work with; every time I email him with a question, he sent me an answer the same day. For the price he cannot be beat. I think he still has a Sun and Fun special going on as well. PM me if you need any info or pictures.

Buy a tool kit from Isham, Avery or Cleaveland. I've dealt with Avery and Cleaveland and service was A1. I've only heard good thing about Isham.

I bought a Avery Toolkit and added a couple of things along the way (yokes, CS4 dimple die, extra-long set). If you can way and know what you need, shop around. If you're a newbie, like me, buye a tool kit!

"During the 6 months prior to receiving my tail kit, I made a spreadsheet comparing Van's list and the contents of all the "complete" off the shelf tool kits, and then whittled out the fluff (sharpies, tape....jeez ).

.... The best part is that I got tool selections and quantities that I would not have normally ordered. Some have been very handy."

I did like rzbill above ... at times found major price differentials among five or six vendors on the same tool. E.g. bucking bars ... you can find the same bar ranging from $15 to $25. I saved enough dollars to buy specialty tools (another vote for Cleaveland Main squeeze, BTW) that have saved me countless hours and headaches. If you have the time, shop around.

Back