What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool roll suggestions

DaleB

Well Known Member
Travel tool roll suggestions

I want to put together a tool kit to keep in my RV-12 for on-the-spot repairs while away from home. I just want a small, light weight tool roll so I can get most common things addressed in a manner that will get me home. I haven't traveled cross country by plane before, and in my cars... well, I got out of the habit of carrying tools, to be honest, since none of ours have broken down in the past 20 years and we keep them maintained. I hope that the tools in the plane only get pulled out during the annual to make sure they're there and clean.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

• Multi-bit screwdriver
  • Safety wire pliers and a few feet of safety wire
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Tire & tube patch kit
  • Self-fusing silicone tape
  • "Gorilla Tape To-Go" (1" x 30' roll)
  • A few Allen wrenches
  • Crescent wrench
  • 3/8 drive handle & extension
  • Spark plug socket
  • 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16 sockets (AN3 - AN6 bolts)

Maybe the safety wire pliers can replace the needle nose pliers.

What's the collective wisdom say? Additions/deletions, what and why?

Last edited:
3/8" - 7/16" open end wrench
12 volt test light or voltmeter
very small bicycle tire pump
1/4" drive handle instead of 3/8" to save weight
1/2" and 9/16" sockets are rarely needed.
Metric wrenches?
Rags
Band-aids
Flashlight
Warm clothing

I keep rags, a flashlight and a first aid kit in the plane already (check). Extra clothes are packed as needed, but a little overnight emergency kit isn't a bad idea. Good idea on the meter and pump.

Probably a 1/4 drive would be fine... but I have a couple of extra 3/8 drive handles, a result of asking for ONE for Christmas a couple years ago and getting three. Since my sons are all moved out I don't lose tools as often, funny how that works.

Some additional goodies (perhaps for longer trips far away from home base): Spare valve core, valve core removal/installation tool (My valve caps are the kind with the tool on top), spare voltage regulator, spare set of brake linings/rivets, survival knife/multi-tool, and a short length of pre-fabbed battery cable that can be used in a pinch to connect the battery's positive terminal to a jumper cable via the oil access door. Too much stuff and you'll lose precious useful load; too little and you'll wish you had it when problems arise. ;)

Didn't see tire pressure gauge listed. (need to pack one myself)
Yeah, stuff like a fuel tester, tire gauge, regular old #2 Phillips screwdriver, tiedown rings etc. are in the glove box. There's a little first aid kit behind the pax seat.

I carry a spare fuel pump and voltage regulator. The only thing I didn't see mentioned that is in my road kit is metric sockets, a universal joint for the sockets, safety wire, and an assortment of AN nuts, bolts, screws and washers.

Back