What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool/Garage Prep

jamcgee1978

Hi all and good evening from a scorching 21 degrees Prestwick, Scotland! :eek:
In prep for my RV10 Tail kit arriving in the next few weeks despite me spending 6 months preparing the garage, acquiring tools/books and getting advice from the great resources online i keep thinking there is more to do. The tools i have to start the project are:

Clecos
3/32 Clecos 403
1/8 Clecos 154
Cleco pliers 1
Cleco clamps 20

Cutting/Deburring Tools
6"Scotchbrite on bench grinderwith sanding belt
Emery cloth
Sheet metal edge deburer (double deburr tool)
Corroway 2 way hole deburring tool
Vixen file

Drills/countersink/taps
Microstop CSK
Microstop CSK bits 3/32 100 deg
Microstop CSK bits 1/8 100 deg
Microstop CSK bits 3/16 100 deg
Microstop CSK bits
Extra Long drill bit No 30
Extra long drill bit No 40
Drill bits 10/12/21/30/40/
threaded drill bits 30/40/21/10
Set step drill
drill stops 30/40/12
Angle drill kit

Dimpling/Riveting

Yardstore bench dimpler with dimpling table built
Cleveland hand squeeze M22 with 3" yoke & 4 bits
Yardstore hand squeeze with 3" yoke
3 x Rivet air gun Jiffy Air Tools Model 300
Air regulator
Dimpling set
Flush head rivet set
Flush swivel rivet set
rivet set cupped 1/8 - 3/32
rivet set double offset 3/32 - 1/8 - 3/16
back rivet set
Flat head rivet anvil
rivet gun spring
Swivel mushroom set with spring
flush set 1 1/4" Dia with rubber ring
Bucking bar hammer head
Bucking bar AT750P-3
Bucking bar AT653
Round SS bucking bar
rivet cutter
rivet gauge set
dimple die organiser

Power/Air/Shop Tools

Clarke Boxer 14/150 150 Litre Belt Driven Air Compressor
Filter, Regulator & Lubricator for compressor
Lightweight hoses
1/4" Sioux Drill
Bosch battery drill & plug in drill
Bandsaw with 18/14 tpi blades
6" bench vise

Hand Tools

12" steel rule
Wiss snips
dead blow hammer
hearing protector/safety glasses
hand seamer
c clamps
Fluting pliers
Tube bender Bends 3/16", 1/4" 5/16" & 3/8"
Flaring tool 37 degree

Standard Aircraft Handbook

Would you guys say there is anything i have missed. I understand that whilst doing the tail the learning curve will be massive as will the runs down to the local hardware store (Homebase or B&Q here in the uk). I have in the garage done the following:

Bought a garage heater and lay some carpet for the winter
Built 2 EAA Chpt1000 benches (still need to put the wheels on) and 1 x larger version to hold the bench tools and is basically a bench that can take some abuse with an MDF top. Storage iam still lacking but have so far installed bins on the wall so just need to get some racking i guess. I intend in storing alot if able in the lofters above the garage where i have put attic flooring in with pull down ladders.

In relation to the compressor, due the noise do people have these as far away from working area as possible and do you need to mount rubber pads on the legs as at the moment its metal vs concrete floor

I have attached some pics to help describe the layout any advice/criticism welcome as im a newbie with a willingness to crack on! ;)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/142920716@N03/T50265

Woohoo!! Welcome to the party!!

You'll hear a lot of opinions about tools. Every one of them is right - according to the individual giving it :)

My favorite tool is my pneumatic squeezer. I've got several yokes for it but it was WELL worth the cost. You can sell it after you complete your project for nearly the price you bought it for, assuming you buy it used.

One of the early project you'll do is the rudder - I think it is second behind the vertical stabilizer. If I remember right, that is your first exposure to back riveting. Before you pull that back riveting plate out, take a look at this EAA video.

http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1803209366

My early back riveting was acceptable but not as pretty as I'd like. I first tried this back riveting method on my tailcone. It was brilliant. Every rivet was perfect and beautiful!!

I'd also recommend a pneumatic rivet puller for the floorboards once you get to the fuselage. You can wait awhile on that purchase.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Advise

Congratulations
+1 on Eric's post except my opinion is right!:D
Kidding. You've got what you need to start and make decisions on tools and techniques.
My only ad ise would be to find a mentor and learn.

Back