What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool Collection

kcpilot81

I have finally started to collect "tools" and wanted to see if people had any suggestions. I am currently living in NYC, without a large amount of storage space for things like a compressor and the like but I do have the space to acquire smaller items. I am planning to eventually buy a Planetools kit which will take care of a lot of the basics but I know there are things that are not included in the kit that will be helpful. Lastly, in order to justify my purchase to the significant other, it would be helpful if the tools had a more general purpose around the house, i.e. the digital multimeter that I just purchased can also be used to test the charge in our rechargeable batteries and therefore was a quality purchase in her eyes.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

So far I have purchased:

Sockets and wrenches
Screwdriver sets
Multimeter
Step drill bits
[[EDIT]] Dremel

Last edited:
Two suggestions...

1) do a Forum search for past threads on tools. LOTSA info there, and 2) take a look at the list Vans provides for "recommended tools". (or a name similar to that.) I went by the Vans list when I started out and have only a couple of areas I would differ greatly: a) You will NEED a bench mounted bandsaw (Vans says handy but not necessary. I disagree. b) I would not attempt to build another RV without the 6" scotchbrite wheel on my bench grinder. That has saved me MANY dozens of hours of deburring.

My favorite tool

Do yourself a favor and buy a die grinder and the Scotchbrite wheels to fit it. I find the little 1" wheels a great time saver to finish rough edges and the inside of holes. Don't dispose of the worn out pieces as you'll find a lot of uses for them as well.

I bought a starter tool kit and I know that there are somethings that I haven't used yet and I'm almost finished. When I get to the shop I'll let you know what they are.

Have fun, it's a great journey!

Depends

Everybody works differently. For instance, Rupester suggests a bandsaw is necessary. I have two of them but rarely use them (real handy when you need it though). I also have a couple of table mounted belt sanders, one large and one small. Never use them.

I do use the 6" Scotchbrite wheel on the bench grinder a lot, wouldn't be without it. In fact two of them would be a good idea, one you keep flat and one you can muck up with grooves in it.

You will need files, big ones, little ones, flat ones, round ones.

When you get a compressor there are a couple tools I use regularly - one of the best tools I have is my little 1/4" CP air drill. Wish I'd bought one of these years ago. The other is a 1/4" die grinder with thin (1/32") cutoff wheels. Don't buy a cheapie die grinder - they take way too much air.

You need to find a good argument for buying the compressor - blowing up tires, kids toys, .............

Good luck!

dremel tool...valuable in the shop and the home. Have fun...buying tools is almost as much fun as building!

Back