What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To Proseal the tank access nutplates, or not

Aero_Octaveus

Well Known Member
So the big question of the day is how much of the NAS1473-A08 nutplates and stiffner ring assembly should I proseal. The manual states that I don't have to proseal any of it with the stock setup, but I notice on build logs that lots proseal everything when using the NAS nutplates.

My rib tooling holes are awfully close to the edge of my stiffener ring/access cover. I plan to use seal-tite in lieu of the cork gasket...but I do want to run some proseal between the rib and ring to make sure that the tooling hole is properly sealed.

Question is....Being that I am using the NAS1473 nutplates, Should I proseal anything else?
IMG_8500.JPG

Sealed nut plates

So the big question of the day is how much of the NAS1473-A08 nutplates and stiffner ring assembly should I proseal. The manual states that I don't have to proseal any of it with the stock setup, but I notice on build logs that lots proseal everything when using the NAS nutplates.

My rib tooling holes are awfully close to the edge of my stiffener ring/access cover. I plan to use seal-tite in lieu of the cork gasket...but I do want to run some proseal between the rib and ring to make sure that the tooling hole is properly sealed.

Question is....Being that I am using the NAS1473 nutplates, Should I proseal anything else?
IMG_8500.JPG

I used them too. Prosealed the nut plates when installed then slathered sealant all over them. I used tite seal and the cork gasket on the cover. No leaks in the test but no fuel yet.

Ditto what Wirejock said, except that I didn't use the cork gasket, directly sealing the hatch cover with access hatch sealant, designed for the job, which I got from Skygeek.com.

After all that cured, I went over all the edges of joints again with type A sealant, which has a thinner viscosity.

No leaks but I haven't flown it yet.

Dave

I used the standard platenuts, so I used the cork gasket and lots of proseal.

One thing I highly recommend is to use capscrews rather than the panhead screws that come with the kit.

That way, if you have to remove the cover plate while the wings are on the plane, you can use an Allen Wrench rather than a stubby screwdriver that may strip the threads.

As you get into the fuselage, start to think about future maintenance. Add plate nuts where getting to a nut will be a challenge or make bracket w/ platenuts as in this example.

(Click to enlarge)

Hmm when in doubt...proseal

Seems like the verdict is in. Better to proseal and be sure rather than try to get cute. Thanks guys. Good call on the screws too. I had anticipated that from all the build logs and went with cadmium plated hex head screws.

Back