What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To flop or not to flop

AltonD

Well Known Member
For some unkown reason, I ordered two flop tubes.

Question: Is there a reason I should not install flop tubes in both tanks?

Is there a reason why you should install a flop tube in either tank?

Are you going to be installing inverted oil? If not...and you're reasonably sure that you won't ever install an inverted oil system (most people don't)...I would just leave it out. The fixed pickup tubes are much simpler. You have to be very mindful of the flop tubes not hanging up. This has happened before and has led to fuel starvation accidents.

I'm not going to be doing any sustained inverted aerobatics so I chose the KISS solution and installed fixed pickups.

If I were going to install inverted oil I would put the flop tubes in both tanks. That way there's no need to worry about selecting a particular tank if you want to turn it upside down.

I still don't know what engine I'm going to use, and haven't planned on putting in inverted oil...regardless, I still put one flop in and standard in the other. Never know...

It is a bit of a project to put in the flop tube, with its little trapdoor, relocation of sender, etc, so I probably would only run one. Even if the chance of wanting inverted capabilities later is slim, you should go ahead and do it now. Folks will tell you that you can always install it after the plane is built, but this would involve more than just retrofitting the tank. You'd also have to fab and route new fuel lines, as the location of the tank outlet is quite different.

Back