What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To flop or not to flop?

jkinger

I'm working on the tanks of my RV-7A, and I'm at the point I have to decide on whether to install flop tube or standard type fuel pick-up. I haven't order yet, but I’m planning on float type fuel sender. I don't know what type engine I'm going to install yet. I would like to do some basic aerobatics. What type of aerobatics would I be limited to with a standard type fuel pick-up and what would be out of the question?

Jim

Jim, if you don't install a flop tube you are limited to positive stuff only. If you don't have inverted oil pickup, you are also limited to positive stuff only.

Me? I installed a flop tube in the left tank. I don' t plan on inverted oil pick up now, but that is easier to put in later than a flop tube. I figured that if I WANT to fly upside down (at length) later, I can do inverted oil then. In the meanwhile, I can learn how to stay positive without the worry of my engine cutting out.

That's my strategy anyways!

Put in one!

;) CJ

I installed a flop tube in the left side, and were I to do it over, I wouldn't bother. I'm not much for negative-G stuff, and I don't have inverted oil anyway. Basic loops, rolls and the like are all positive G manuvers and don't require the flop tube. Additionally, the flop tube makes plumbing that tank a little more difficult, and requires you to move the float sender to a different bay in the tank, which gives less accurate readings.

I wouldn't bother.

Jeff Point
RV-6
Milwaukee

Back