What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TMX IO-540 Installation?

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Folks,
I'm seriously considering a Mattituck TMX540 for my -10 but wanted to make sure there weren't any clearance issues with the engine mount. Taking Van's advice in his 15 Jan 07 Service letter regarding this matter to heart, I'm looking for advice from builders who can say first hand whether there's an issue or not. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I know William Curtis has a TMX and almost sent this question directly to him, but thought others might have similar questions or additional comments so I changed my mind and posted for all to see.

Thanks,
Todd
RV10 Empacone
728TT (reserved)

todd:

The engine mount interference issue is for IO-540 engines that have our cold air induction. They say Lycoming "clone" meaning any engine not built at the factory. The fact is, our new engines and Mattituck's are Lycoming engines from their kit program. A clone engine would refer to a Superior/ECI product rather than OEM manufacturing.

The cold air induction (forward facing sump, additional 13-15 hp) sump has different dimensions than the standard sump (vertical induction.) The cold air sump interferes with the cross-member tube on the mount. We do provide a modification to the mount for all engines with our cold air induction at no additional charge to any of our customers who have put cold air on their 540 engine.

Just to confirm Rhonda's post, My stock IO-540 from, (by stock I mean no cold air induction) Barretts fits perfectly on the Van's mount. The mount is from a finishing kit delivered about a year ago.

While I'm here I'll make a cheap plug for Barretts. Great engine and super people to work with. The whole process was painless except the check writing part. ;)

Don't worry Rick. Building an airplane and paying for it are kind of like giving birth. You'll forget the pain in a few years and want another one!! :D

Auburntsts said:
I know William Curtis has a TMX and almost sent this question directly to him, but thought others might have similar questions or additional comments so I changed my mind and posted for all to see.

Thanks,
Todd
RV10 Empacone
728TT (reserved)
Todd,

Van's has a back order on the rubber Dyna-focal IO-540 engine mounts from my FF kit so I have not actually mounted my engine yet. It does not look like there will be a problem however. If you do go this route, make sure that the Mattituck provided VA-189 fuel line hose has one 528-6CR fitting rather than the two 524-6CR fittings.

See here: http://wcurtis.nerv10.com/20Engine/hose.html

Rick, I had a wonderful talk with Barrett a few days ago and am leaning towards one of their engines. I would certainly appreciate it if you could shoot me an email at scout019(at)msn.com. I am really interested in how you came to the decision and what persuaded your choice on standard induction vs. cold air, and input you have on FWF kit purchases. Depending on an Iraq rotation looming in the not too distant future I am either 8 or 18 months out from needing an engine. Time to start getting serious about it. Thanks.

Eric Kallio
40518 Fuse

All,
Thanks much for your replies. Based upon Rhonda's and the rest of you BPE customer's posts, I have gone to the BPE website and asked for a quote.

I had visited the site some time ago and had assumed that the BPE product was too much engine for my needs, if that makes sense. However, as I have yet to write the check, every engine builder is an option so I'd be remiss if I didn't give BPE a second look.

Thanks,
Todd

what a crappy BPE website. i just went on there and spent 5 mins. clicking everywhere and no cold air induction info/parts/prices etc. I already have an engine.

MarK:

Sorry you couldn't find the information on our cold air system. Follow these links - About Us - Leadership in Innovation - Cold Air Induction.

You are correct. We do not put pricing on our website. We prefer to assist each customer individually helping them determine what they want their engine to do and build our business based on relationships.

However, our cold air induction is $3995 complete and ready to install on any experimental 540, $3495 with an engine. We do not provide cold air for any other engine model.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Too much Engine?

Todd, I understand exactly what you mean . When I was going through my engine decisions, I was on all the sites, trying to gain as much information as possible. when I looked @ BPE's site , it appeared to me from the website that it was strictly a High Performance shop, HOWEVER, after speaking to some engine knowledgeable people (A&P's) I was encouraged to TALK to BPE. And that's what made all of the difference. Allan Barrett called and we took time going through my naive questions, he patiently answered each, and provided additional information that was also valuable. While BPE's legacy in as a 'horsepower' shop when you talk 1st hand to these guys you quickly learn that their real legacy is in PRECISION and QUALITY, Through dialogues (several), Allan and I determined that I could have an engine built with increased performance WITHOUT compromising SAFETY or QUALITY. I'm happy with the increased performance that my engine produces. BUT, I'm MORE happy with the peace of mind I have knowing what went into the build and testing and support of my engine.

Deems, Allen was who called me as well. Great conversation and openly answered all of my questions, very pleased with customer service so far, and I haven't even placed an order. I have been following your progress on your site very attentively. I am looking at the aerocomposite prop and James cowl too. Did they have the 14 inch spinner that is needed or did you go elsewhere? Suggestions on FWF kit components would be greatly appreciated since I am looking at the same systems as you. As well as the OP technologies displays. Thanks.

Eric
40518 Fuse

My choice for Barrett's was easy, I spoke to several of thier customers and not a bad word to be had. I met Rhonda and Allen at OSH last year, spoke for a little while, got their value added service pitch. I like the dyno information and the fact every time I called with a question Rhonda or Allen always answered the phone and every email. If you check out their customer list you will see several well known aerobatic teams/persons who trusted them..I figured I could too. My reason for going stock on the engine was mainly based on not having to reinvent or fabricate any more fiberglass components than I had too. My engine came in at 264 horses, after flying the Factory demonstrator with the stock IO-540 I could not see adding the cold air induction. Allen 's response was simple..it's free horsepower but the standard updraft works just fine. He gave me the info, I made my own descision based on his information.

Plus they are an American company, nothing personal towards our friends to the North, they are in Oklahoma, closer to me than NY and just plain good folks to deal with.

The best $43,000 T-Shirt I ever bought :eek: I can live with their website...all but never ending Steve Miller song.

One question I always had was how much of a factor do you place on the location of the engine shop. Most of the well-known engine shops are far away (state of CA). It seems like most are on the east coast. There are lesser-known shops in the state, though much less frequently mentioned. Usually, i place a pretty high degree of importance on locality, especially, for something like an engine that potentially requires some kind of follow-up warranty or service.

Clearly, there are other factors that people are weighing higher to overcome the distance. Or is distance really that much of a factor, after paying for shipping costs?

Jae

my source, gary b; said he paid approx. $6,500 for Cold air induction and he said it was worth it. he said it felt more like 30hp gain.

he just sold his harmon rocket to a guy in Canada.

my engine is done and I'm under a deadline to get out of the hangar or i would consider putting the system on.

even though i can't find any pictures of components on the site.

i'll check those links and give it another shot some other time.

I am flying behind a TMX 540 in my RV-10 with no problems. The engine fit perfectly. The DAR gave me 40 hrs because it was called an experimental engine, which seems crazy. I did have to reroute the breather tube and move the oil sending unit because of the 90 degree oil filter adapter, but it was worth it.

mark

tintopranch said:
I am flying behind a TMX 540 in my RV-10 with no problems. The engine fit perfectly. The DAR gave me 40 hrs because it was called an experimental engine, which seems crazy. I did have to reroute the breather tube and move the oil sending unit because of the 90 degree oil filter adapter, but it was worth it.

mark

The DAR was 100% correct with the 40 hrs.

Back