What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire to Wheel Pant Dimension

clevtool

Well Known Member
First one to tell me the dimension from the end of the valve stem to the outside of the wheel pant gets a new RV accessory free! I don't know if it is a different dimension on the nose wheel as the main gear, but I need the maximum.

I would also like to know what size hole people are using for the valve stem access, the plugs we sell are 3/4" but I wonder what others are being used.

And finally, do you keep caps on your valve stems or just leave them uncapped for convenience?

Thanks,
Mike

First one to tell me the dimension from the end of the valve stem to the outside of the wheel pant gets a new RV accessory free! I don't know if it is a different dimension on the nose wheel as the main gear, but I need the maximum.

I would also like to know what size hole people are using for the valve stem access, the plugs we sell are 3/4" but I wonder what others are being used.

And finally, do you keep caps on your valve stems or just leave them uncapped for convenience?

Thanks,
Mike

I can't answer your first question, since I haven't finished my wheel pants yet. I was going to use your plugs, so that answers your second question.

On the main wheel, with the factory tubes and wheels, I can't leave the caps on because there isn't adequate clearance with the cotter pin. This seems to be a problem when a fair number of RV-10s from the responses I got when I asked the question a few months ago.

Here's a photo:

FP15012011A0001C.jpg

That dimension is exactly..

......First one to tell me the dimension from the end of the valve stem to the outside of the wheel pant gets a new RV accessory free! Thanks,
Mike

......2 3/4" on the nosegear. I just measured it with my two attached valve stem extensions that I use to air it up.As Bob pointed out, the main gear tube stems point toward the axle unless you don't use Van's tubes and buy tubes that have the stem pointing toward the wheelpant, like the nosegear tube.

Best,

Valve Cap

You should talk to some knowledgeable tire engineers about the valve cap. My understanding is that the valve itself is not supposed to be the primary air seal. Centrifugal force is acting in the direction to open the valve and any small stones that get in the valve stem can also open the valve. On my cars and aircraft I always use a good metal valve cap with a rubber gasket seal as the primary air seal with the valve itself as the secondary seal.

Always use caps and remove fairings for fill access

Always use caps and remove fairings for fill access.

Bob Axsom

Guys,

Look at the 'older' cars in the lot........

Seldom do they have caps on the valves.

I don't see that many flat tires :rolleyes:

Could you?

Could you get more clearance, by countersinking the cotter pin holes a bit, to let the head of the pin sit lower? Or, smacking the head of the pin a bit with a punch? I?d sure like to see a valve cap on there.

I have been away from this project for a bit, thanks to all for the information. The following photo shows a beautifully machined solution, but for the price the link above is likely a better choice.

3324_winkeladapter_web_big.jpg

Pierre send me your details at the email below and I will put you on the list for one of these when they are finished. There will be a cap remover tool as well.

valve%20filler.jpg

Last edited:
Back