What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire recommendations 380-150-5

Jettison

What tire do you recommend in the 380-150-5 for an RV-7? Also, will these fit under the standard wheel pants (I mounted them 1/4” higher than plans specified). Thanks.

I mounted Michelins earlier this year. They're still there.

Wheelpant clearance varies a lot. My original pants were mounted very low on purpose, so 380's required new ones. They're an inch larger in diameter, so you need an additional 1/2" above the tire. Easy to check.

Just a data point.

I ordered and received the Michelins as well. Based on research and recommendations on here. Pressure recovery pants (Vans standard). Soon as I receive the back half of the backordered wheel pant Ill get them mounted.

Ordered the 5.00x5 Airstop tubes and they were unavailable everywhere but recently looks like Wilkerson tire has them in stock.

Arnie

Round gear

I’m curious how they handle on round gear.. I have a -4 and would like to try 380s but I’m curious if they will induce or make worse the gear shimmy.. I currently have just a slight shimmy at certain speeds, but it’s not bad enough to make me adapt stiffeners yet..

I’m curious how they handle on round gear.. I have a -4 and would like to try 380s but I’m curious if they will induce or make worse the gear shimmy.. I currently have just a slight shimmy at certain speeds, but it’s not bad enough to make me adapt stiffeners yet..

I had an RV4 with an O360, wooden FPP, short gear and wood stiffeners. With the stock wheels and wheel pants I didn't have any shimmey issues. I went with the 380's and would have some occasional shimmey issues. I installed Vans new PR wheel pants and the shimmey was there more often then not. Unless it was a brand new resurfaced runway and even then there was no guarantee.

I did buy a balancer and balanced my wheels with minimal change. Low tire pressure in the low 20s worked about the best.

I did gain another 6 to 8 mph top speed with these wheel pants over the stock ones so that was worth it.

I was going to go with a metal stiffener but never got around to it other wise I was going to go back to the stock wheel size.

Tim

What tire do you recommend in the 380-150-5 for an RV-7? Also, will these fit under the standard wheel pants (I mounted them 1/4” higher than plans specified). Thanks.

They will fit, especially when you mounted the pants a little higher already. Consider that the 380s are a little wider also, the brake caliper could be very close to the tire or even chafe with side loads so shimming the brake disk with 1/8 spacer is an option (longer bolts required). Then - dependend on how everything is mounted - you might have to make blisters into the wheel pants to clear the caliper. So as usual changing one thing can cause more work than originally thought. Did this on my RV-8, but the -7 wheel pants are the same.

I fit my pants 1/2" higher than standard and have plenty of clearance. 1/4" higher than standard may work ok, but avoid getting the inside clogged with mud.

You will love the way the larger tires feel on grass, gravel, dirt.

I did have a brake caliper clearance issue, and made blister fairings (wheel pant bulges) to cover them.

The mold I made is now used by HP Aircraft (advertiser here) to make the blister fairings. You can order a set from Bob. They come generously over-size and you trim them down to the size you need. Here is a couple of pictures of them installed.

wheelpantbulge.jpg

wheelpantbulge2.jpg

Back