What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire Inflation

douglassmt

Well Known Member
Just curious what veteran -10 owners are using for tire pressures. I searched and couldn't find anything in this forum. I know what the plans recommend for inflation before mounting, but I'm guessing experience might have indicated something different for pressures once they are on the plane.

Getting ready for first flight and want to get the pressures where they should be.

rv-10 tire psi

I use 52 psi on all three tries. This appears to give a some what even tire wear on the mains. I had to replace the first set of main tires very early running a lower psi.

See ya soon

Thanks Brian. You'll be within my test area, me thinks. I'll come see ya once I get the bugs shook out and am looking for some cross country time.

I thought I read somewhere that the tires do less shaking at lower pressures 42 nose and 40 mains minimum.

I have had mine inflated from 40-60 psi and the lower the pressure the harder it is to move with the tow bar. I have found that pressure does not make a big
Difference for shaking it just moves MPH were it happens. I seem to think that the more weight in the plane the worse it gets. I have settled on 55psi mains and 50 psi in the front. Wheels have been balanced and that helps a little when tires are new but the main reason for shake is the gear design. Shake is also worse with wheel pants on.
I have Mounted a camera on the bottom of the airplane to watch the shake happen and the wheel pants shake in an up and down motion. Front up and down. If any of you have ever flown RC airplanes with wire gear you get the same action with those gear. The axel center point move forward and aft.
Hope this makes sense

Geoff

Geoff, do you think that the wheel pant bracket not being attached securely could set up an oscillation with the wheel pant? What did it look like in the video? I am in the process of finishing the nose gear fairing, and I was amazed at how loose the bracket is around the axle. I am thinking of using a larger washer on the outside of the bracket and eliminating one of the washers between the bracket and the axle. I would loosen the axle to install the nose wheel pant, then tighten the axle AFTER the pant is on. I have not tried it yet, but it seems like it would firm up the bracket and thus the fairing.

Bill I don't think that the bracket is the problem. The weight of the wheel pant
Helps the up down motion when the main gear starts it's shimmy for and aft.
I have not had any real issues with the nose pant. I do have a little whopple
At 16 mph. It goes away at 17. I have had that since new. You could tighten
Up nose wheel pant as needed. Some people have cracked the bracket but I have 265 hours on mine. Some other people might jump in here that have had
Problems.
One thing on the main wheel shimmy is that I do not have it on grass. I think the reason is because the tire slides more on the grass then the pavement.
On pavement the tire does not track straight so you actually drag the tire a little on pavement and on grass it just slides. The toe and wheel caster alignment changes with load and that is what causes the tire to drag a little
And the the gear starts to shimmy for and aft and then the wheel pant feels left out when the tire rotation its the certain rpm show it starts to dance up and down. This is just my opinion but I have tried a lot of things with little success. I know Sean re-aligned his main gear hoping to fix this but I believe
It did not help.
Hang tight because there could be a fix soon.
Geoff

We keep the mains around 40-45PSI and the nose around 35-40. Seems to have been a good combination.

Back