What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tipup Rollbar Question - Incline Angle

aparchment

Well Known Member
Folks,

Up until tonight I have been happy with the progress on my tip up rollbar. The dimensions and fit worked out nicely.

That said, with everything installed tonight I can't get one dimension to match up. The plans say there should be 2 7/8 between the front top of the rollbar and the fuselage station line that appears to match up with the front of the F774 skin. My dimension is coming out at 2 3/8. Everything else matches up. The rollbar incline angle matches the F774 skin side angle, the F732A brace fits perfectly, etc. The only way I can get that additional 1/2 inch space is to further recline the rollbar and cut the 732A brace shorter.

Any ideas? I just missed Van's so I will call them in the a.m. to see what they say.

Thanks if you have any input.

let the brace dictate...

assuming that the roll bar is flat and the forward attachments are lining up i would let the brace dictate the angle of the roll bar.

Yep as long as the bases of the bar are where they are suppose to be, the brace will set your angle....

Take your time

It's been a while since doing that so this is from memory.
The above answers are correct, you should not have to cut the brace.
I do remember that it was a challenge to read the print correctly (this was a big part of it) and also jig up a measuring device well enough the confirm that the dimension was already correct when the brace was put in place.

Make sure you are starting in the right spot down at the bottom. it is a bit busy on that part of the drawing.

Last edited:
Think I got it

Thanks guys,

I confirmed with Gus at Van's, and he said that since the canopy frame is based off of the work I am doing now, the measurement from the reference line to the front of the rollbar isn't critical. Since everything else fits properly, I am going to let this discrepancy go and adjust the canopy frame later if needed.

Back