What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tips/Tricks for Torquing Engine Bolts

petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

I'd like to hear from those of you with experience on how best to torque the Dynafocal bolts and get the cotter keys in. - Thanks

I just did mine last week end. No big deal, took about 1.5 hours to completely hang the engine. I used the torque value for the bolts as given by Vans in the general How to Do section of the manual. Do not remember now the values. Put the carter pins in and bent oneside up over the nut and the other side down to washer.

Torque it up and see what you get

Yep that is all you can do. Torque to the min and see what you got. If a little tighter will get the hole castellated nut aligned just torque it up. The other way is to torque to max end and back off. Lets say you just are too far off? You did one the above and its just not working out.

If the alignment is way off you can "adjust" the washer thickness. There are three ways to do this.

1) Washers have different tolerances, even for the same washer type. Use a calliper and pick a thicker or thinner one as needed.

2) Some guys take the washer and pound it flat to reduce its thickness. It works apparently and one whack of the old hammer does the trick.

3) Another way to go is some guys will sand some material off the washer (flat surface, mirror with 400 grit, wet/dry). That works, but you take off the CAD plate finish on the steel washers. You can always prime it well of you choose this route. DON'T whittle on the bolt or nut EVER!. :eek:

So how much thicker or thinner do you need to make the washer?

I think there is 24 threads per inch so 1/24= 0.041. So for every full turn is 0.041. Since the castellated nut has six tangs, you may want change it 1/12th of a turn (half way between tangs). So 1/12th of 0.041 or .0035. So you don't need a big change in washer thickness.

Note: they make thin shim washers, which Van supplies with the bolt "kit": http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...-336-39&browse=engines&product=engine-boltkit

I WOULD avoid going crazy with torquing and un-torquing over and over to get it perfect. Once or twice is OK, but each time you torque it up, you take some plate material off and distort the threads, which itself will change torque and alignment. Also when you handle bolts you can get them contaminated with oils which changes the torque. If you are close be happy.

I never had a problem getting the cotter pin aligned, but I have heard of massive problems? Good luck and don't go crazy with it. I don't want to say the bolts holding your engine on are not important or the torque is not important, but you have plenty of "margin". As long as they are torqued in the ball-park than you are good to go. Sometimes you do end up with a stack-up that's just not ideal and warrants a little adjustment, emphasis on little. Have fun.

George

PS the above is for Dynafocal. Conical is differnt. For the bolts that attaches the engine mount to firewall you can take some material off the engine mount.

Last edited:
Actually, the Van's instructions recommend not using a torque wrench. I guess since you have to torque from the head of the bolt, they figure you'll never get it right anyway.

Instructions?

Davepar said:
Actually, the Van's instructions recommend not using a torque wrench. I guess since you have to torque from the head of the bolt, they figure you'll never get it right anyway.
Hummm, Thanks I don't read the instructions, but you are right if you had to torque the bolt head torque does not mean anything, but I torqued the nut side, I think? It has been a while. May be the bottom nuts are hard to get at, so use the German torque method (said with German accent) "Gut-tin-tight". :D (Actually the Germans would say "Drehkraft zum korrekten Wert, Dummkopf!!", "torque to proper value".) The top ones are easy to get at with a torque wrench for sure.

But I agree with your point getting the torque just right is hard even if you can get to the nut side. By starting and stopping to check cotter pin hole alignment will throw the torque value off anyway. So as I said, torque to min value and than tighten to align, or tighten to Max and back off to align.

Now the question is what is the proper torque value anyway? Any takers? AN6 is 160-190 in-lb or 13.3-15.8 ft-lb's (ref. AC 43.13-1A). Sound correct? I do agree with you that getting a good torque is hard to do, but the cotter pin alignment can make it so that it is too loose or too tight.

With out getting into the engineering of bolted joints, too loose reduces fatigue life, too tight (hard to do with a 3/8" bolt unless you are the Green Hulk) can affect total bolt stress. I can't disagree with not using a torque wrench, but I would try to use it on the nut side if at all possible. What if torque was only 140 or 205in-lb? Nothing. Chances are most people OVER torque than under torque. As I said don't go crazy getting it perfect, hey it is only the bolts holding the engine on! :eek:

George

Last edited:
Torque Settings

Does anyone have the proper torque values for an bolts/nuts sheer & load, I lost my sheet..

an2
an3
an4
an5
an6
an7 engine bolts I need to recheck mine..

Danny..

Back