What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tips After Re-Painting?

jahoosafat

After dropping my RV-10 at a paint shop (Plane Schemer) in early January, she's finally ready for me to fly her back home. Obviously, I'll do the most thorough pre-flight I've ever done. I'm interested in suggestions as to specific areas that I should examine, potential trouble spots that painters might tend to miss when re-assembling an RV-10. I have a lot of confidence in Jonathan at Plane Schemer, but safety dictates doing this with a critical eye. Note also that the fuel tanks were also re-built from scratch while in the paint shop because of multiple small leaks and the inability to get any response from Weep No More. Any info is appreciated!

Cheers,
Jeff

As you say, check everything. Since the control surfaces were undoubtably removed, check attachments including jam nuts. Check elevator trim tab connections, make sure cotter pin is in place. Personally, I?d open up the wing roots and put a wrench on the fuel line fittings and the vent fittings. No other way to be sure they?ve been torqued. Inspect for things that should not have been painted (gps antennas), make sure they?re properly re-attached. Etc etc.

Make sure you do a new W&B on the plane before you fly it, along with verifying EVERYTHING is hooked back up properly and rigged correctly.

After Paint Insp

Find out what was removed and check for proper reassembly.
Controls Free and go full travel.
Control surface attachment and safeties.
Control surface balance checked after paint if required.
Fuel vents clear.
Pitot and static ports clear.
All masking tape and paper removed including eng comp & airbox inlet.
Paint for gloss, runs, thickness ect.
Overspray inside door frames and engine comp.
Drain a lot of fuel from the sumps.
Check tire pressure
Database updates?
Logbook entry detailing: What was removed/reinstalled, control surface balance
if required, paint codes.
Do a through runup (you might get the ?new lawnmower? smell)
Don?t forget to bring your ?flying stuff? (headsets, iPad ect)
Most places will send you home with a touch up kit.
I would avoid flying in any rain for a month.
Be careful, have fun.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

With the new fuel tanks you might want to re-do the calibration of the fuel level indicators. I would also consider doing a fuel flow test before flight to ensure everything is still ok with the fuel system after the tank replacement.

Control Surfaces Balanced?

All control surfaces are supposed to be balanced after painting. counter weights may have to be adjusted for the paint.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 Flying
RV8 Sold
RV4 Rebuilt

Back