What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: yet another way of Plans Managemnt...

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Back when I built my -8, I unrolled the plans onto my workbench, put them all in order, and rolled back the ones on top until I got what I needed at any time. They eventually ended up dog-eared and disheveled. I decided to try something just a little bit fancier, but not much for the -3.

It's just aluminum strip from Home Depot and some countersunk screws with nylon lock nuts. I bound them into sub kits. I'll tell you in a few years if I like the system.

IMG_7019.JPG

Paul

I don't think the nylock self locking fasteners are appropriate for this application. I would recommend cherrymax's at a minimum.

Don't mind me, I'm just jealous of those building again.

Paul, I hope that bar stock will hold up during your construction without any PRIMER!!

paul

We'de like to see at least one more AN960 washer added under each nut. Three threads showing is plenty. ;)
BTW, good idea.

Now you need to build a container that will hold the various bundles.

It appears you have run the alum strips a bit longer than the paper------ the excess alum can be used to hang the bundles in a framework similar to a hanging file folder. You could even make up tabs for to label each section, again like a hanging file folder.

Make up a plywood box, deep enough for the plans to hang, wide enough to clear the plans, but not the alum strips.

Or, maybe a rack that mounts on the wall, slope it a bit so the plan section label ---you are going to label the alum strips, right?---will show when hanging in the rack.

Dont forget to send my commission :D for the design work.

Last edited:
tweaking the idea

You could have installed magnets in the strips and then be able to hang your plans on any convenient steel/iron surface (my hangar comes to mind). Alternatively, you could have included a steel strip and mounted magnets wherever you'd like to place your plans. BTW, in keeping with earlier posts, I like the way you rounded the corners but is that a burr I see under your thumb? ;)

I cut some masonite on the table saw the size of the plan pages and used spray glue to glue the plan to the masonite. Put plan page on each side.Worked out real nice ,no dog ears ,always flat,and the glue will still let you remove the plans if you want

I have one of my minions follow me around the workshop with whatever drawing I need at the time laying on a large, red silk pillow. :D

Actually, I have mine just laying loose on a small work table. Whichever drawing I'm using at the time gets clamped to an artist's easel nearby. I like your idea better, Paul. Thanks for the tip!

Did you.......

.....really de-burr the holes??:) How 'bout some Akzo primer...after all, you're near the ocean:eek:

Looks good,

Scan, print, fold, file, magnetize?

I scanned my originals so I have them on a jump-stick when I travel. (Schiphol Airport Hilton today). Printed new copies and folded them properly so the title blocks were on the top of the final 8.5 x 11 folded size. (Yah, old school OK?)
Got them stored in order in an expanding manila folder on a shelf in the shop. Easy to grab a single print and unfold it wherever.
I have a steel strip screwed to the wall and use a couple of old speaker magnets to hold the 1/2 dozen unfolded prints of interest at the moment.

Vans originals are back in the shipping tube.

YMMV of course

Plans Drawer

Great idea. How about storage? I have plans on the wall, but needed a way to sort through pages. Added a drawer under bench, by attaching a 2x4 with a 1/2 inch wide and 3/4 inch deep slot that a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood will slide in. You could use any other material slightly larger than a plans sheets. A real carpenter could build a real drawer.
http://picasaweb.google.com/rv33we/Shop?feat=directlink

C A Mansfield
7A QB
N33WE (reserved)

No problem

Jon, thanks for the link, this is what I was trying to describe in my earlier post.

This sure is fun spending Paul's time and money:D

It has been a while since I priced these up but as I remember they where VERY expensive, but what is your time worth? They do have the nice feature of being able to remove one sheet at a time easily if needed too.
Now, ask me what I use? Rolled up and rubber banded, dog ear'd, coffee spilled, drilled through, marked up, and torn, look like they went through a tornado, but I am sticking with it. I also use one standard drill with manual chuck, rechuck my different bits everytime, never owned a pnuematic squeezer, and organize my hardware by keeping them in their original bags. So, I might not be the best person to ask about efficient ways to manage any part of a project.:rolleyes:

Now, ask me what I use? Rolled up and rubber banded, dog ear'd, coffee spilled, drilled through, marked up, and torn, look like they went through a tornado, but I am sticking with it.

I dont even roll them, (but then the 10 dosent really have plans, just instruction sheets, in a big cover), but the other comments are spot on:D

Glad I could be of Service!

Stimulating discussion is what it is all about here in the "Tips" section (at least that's what I think...)!

Yes, the extensions are designed for hanging the packages on the wall - but at the moment, I can't find a section of wall big enough that doesn't have something else on it already. It is correct that the screws could use an additional washer, but what the heck - I'm going to live dangerously...ditto on the primer! :eek:

De-burring was done as part of the countersinking for the screw heads, edge smoothing, well, that's just habit!!

Scanning and preserving the originals? If I had a scanner that big, I'd be building MUCH more expensive airplanes!:p

I figure that no matter WHAT I did, it would be neater than my previous build - and yes, by the time, I figure it out, I won't need plans at all....:rolleyes:

Paul

Back