What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Workbenches

longranger

Well Known Member
Trying to forestall a bit of thread drift over in the RV-7/7A project status section...

:D ...Now I just need to finish building my real workbenches...my little sawhorse table is decent for flattening the plans sheets though. :p...

The EAA Chapter 1000 benches seem to work pretty well, but I'd give the top a two or three inch overhang all around for clamping stuff. You wont regret it.

My own 4' x 8' benches predate Chapter 1000 (of which I am a proud member and regular attendee:cool:). I built them with eye toward building a Mini-Max many many moons ago. They are a bit too wide for convenient use against the wall, I need a step stool to reach the stuff that inevitably migrates to the back. When I get the use of the second half of my garage I'll slide them out a few feet for better access all around.

EAA Bench

I have several of the Benches and have found them to be strong. I would second the addition of a larger lip or placing a piece of over-sized MFD on top. I also added 2 PT 2x4s to the feet of my benches. Being 6' I prefer the bench a little taller than the plans. I also added casters to one and like the ability to roll it out of the way.

... Being 6' I prefer the bench a little taller than the plans. ...

I'm only 5'10", and put 36" legs on my pre-chapter 1000 benches. That height works great for me.

I also like the interlocking foam floor mats (Harbor Freight). Instead of the square shown in the ad, I linked 2 sets end-to end down the length of the floor in front of my benches.

I've got a four foot wide workbench that's too wide. I can get at it from all sides, it's not against the wall. It's just that I have to go to the other side too often. I can't reach across it.

I've also got a 42" wide work table that's about as wide as I'd want. I can reach across to the far side but it's a reach for me. And my 24" wide work tables are fine but could be wider.

Perfect would probably be about three feet.

Dave

Benches

I did a 4' X 6' with a 2" lip all around for my main bench that sits on casters in the middle of my build floor and I LOVE it. I then made a 2' X 4' DRDT bench (was originally the drill press, band saw bench as you see below) on casters from the leftover ply. If I recall correct, all are 34"-36" high on the casters and that feels just right for me...but I have standard legs for my height.

2011-03-19%25252019.30.20.jpg

2011-05-19-00.44.39.jpg

I also did a 4' X 4' bench and mounted my drill press, 12" disk sander, 9" band saw, and bench vise on each side with a power strip mounted underneath with all the tools plugged in with a shelf below for all the battery chargers for more tools.

2011-03-30%25252008.23.34.jpg

I also made 2 standard EAA 1000 benches that hold other things off the floor. All of them are on casters to allow them to be rolled out of the way with no resistance. As the build progresses and I get things stored out of the way, these may be given away to another builder that needs them or put in the house garage as they are not nearly as useful as these above.

Std Work Bench extra holding fixture

Man that's one clean shop. I'm afraid my shop might be featured in the next episode of "HOARDERS!"

As for the EAA Std workbench, I added one 2X4 to one end that can be rotated above the worksurface. Then I use it to clamp ribs and small piece and it acts as a holding fixture.

When not in use, it rotates down below the table surface. The 2x4 is attached with two 1/4 inch carriages bolts. Pull one, and rotate the 2X4 down on the other. Re-insert the removed carriage bolt into its hole so it is there for the next use.

Last edited:
I've got a four foot wide workbench that's too wide. I can get at it from all sides, it's not against the wall. It's just that I have to go to the other side too often. I can't reach across it.

I obtained a 44 x 96 beast of a bench about 30 years ago. Its heavy enough to flail something in the corner vise with a machinist hammer and not worry about it moving. Per the comments elsewhere, I did add a 2" "lip" for varous clamp duties.

I prefer the wide table (mine is also accessible from all sides) because there are effectively 3 to 4 "workzones" that can be separately occupied and on the instance you need that much room (such as canopy) its there to use by cleaning off the whole top.

YMMV

Back