What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Wing Installation

Skint

Well Known Member
Hi everyone

So a couple of weeks back it was time to temporarily attach my RV7a wings. I followed the suggestions offered here and wanted to add a couple of further comments.
I bought very long hardware store bolts, cut off the threads, ground the end to a taper. Ensure that the fuel lines coming out off the fuselage are not going to foul on the wing as it slides in. Slip bolts through all holes before assembly to check fit. Anticipate bolts chafing on the gear leg bracket holes ( powder coating gets in way). I cut 2 strips of 1mm PVC sheet and rested them over the skin that projects from the bottom of the fuselage. They act as guides so the wing skin does not smash into it as the two come together. It took an hour to mount the 2 wings with one helper. I used plum bobs on the leading edge and a string raised slightly above the floor to check the sweep. It was very good. I had levelled across the center spar and across the longerons prior.
Now the incidence. I levelled the longeron fwd to aft to 0 degress on the right longeron but that was .2 on the left. Checked with Van's and they said the tiny difference was OK. Now when you raise the rear spar to set the incidence there is a nasty round head rivet that sticks out of the fuselage and in my case would push the rear spar out thus ruining my sweep forward. I had to remove some material from the rear spars to clear the rivet. The sweep was restored but time ran out. I plan on revisiting this on Saturday.

AN426 vs AN470

Thanks for the writeup, Skint.

I'm at the point of dimpling in preparation for riveting the fuselage and plan on using AN426AD4 rivets (instead of the AN470) just above the rear spar carry through to prevent the rear spar from hitting the rivet heads and causing forward sweep.

Back