What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Waste less paint!

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
Dipping with a soup ladle or pouring wastes paint and discourages doing small jobs when needed. I saw the suggestion of plastic lids with spout here on VAF. They were $22 for 4ea on line and you had to buy 8 plus freight if you used gallons and quarts. My local auto paint store had Dedoes paint mixing lids for body shops. These not only snap on the can with elastomer gasket, they have a mixing paddle built in that a drill can turn, PLUS there is a spout that opens and closes like pancake syrup at IHOP ! They cost me $5 ea for quart and a gallon.

I am using Stewart System waterborne paint. I t cleans up pretty easy with water. However, the paint store suggested Water Wave surfactant to clean the gun so the next use doesn't even try to stick. Hope this helps someone.
[email protected]

I hate wasting paint and primer too. I use Dupont Imron and their Veriprime 615S metal etch primer. For small amounts I will use the stir stick to lift small amounts out of the can and scrape off on the edge of my mixing cup. I can prevent any material from getting into the rim which would prevent a clean seal on closing. And I can mix small amounts quickly and easily. I mix the Veriprime thin and brush it on with a sponge brush. I can mix, apply dry with a heat gun, flip and get the back side, dry again and be ready to dimple/rivet in a very short time. To seal exposed areas of steel weldaments with Imron top coat, I use small disposable hobby brushes.

2aajchw.jpg

Back