What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Side Skirts

Louavul

Well Known Member
Needing some guidance on my tip up side skirts. I've trimed the skirts to the dimentions shown on drawing 49 (2 3/4"), and drilled into place, upper edge flush with the canopy side rails. This gives me an offset with the forward canopy skin ears, as in the picture.

Question is, do I trim the side skirts, as I have per the drawing or the foward canopy skin ears to get a match up?

Thanks in advance,

Steven Hild
Belen, NM
RV-7, N590SC (res)
FK

2myvuc9.jpg

Yep ...

... You can trim the ears on the red lines without worry. Later, you'll likely trim the entire top of the ears off like the rest of us. :D

Wish that I had chopped the ears off. The bump under the fiberglass looks stupid and with Sika and rivets this thing aint moving. Dont need the 2 inches of aluminum from the "ear"

I agree, cut that ear off. You will glass over that area anyway and the ear just makes that harder to do well. Just make a nice transition from the side rails.

Also, consider NOT securing the most forward hole on the plans; that seems to be an area of some stress and some old-timers told me during my construction that that might be problematic.

For whatever it's worth, it is possible to leave the ears on and make it work and look good. I trimmed mine down a bit to match the canopy frame behind it, and opened up the slot a bit. I used an edge-roller to slightly roll the top edge of the ear inward. To get a good final fit, you curl or bend the aluminum ear a bit to match the curvature of the canopy. Bend it enough and get the curve right and it will fit tight against the plexi and look good.

P1030643%20(Small).JPG

Regarding the side skirts... I found out the hard way that it's not a straight line when you trim them. I marked the front end to match the canopy frame skin and the back end to match the fuselage skin and drew a straight line and cut the skirts. BIG MISTAKE. They ended up trimmed too much and I had to buy a new pair. The second time, I marked them on the interior side to match the canopy frame side rails (with the canopy off, of course) and this resulted in a much better fit and appearance. So if yours match the side rails, it's good.

P1030609%20(Small).JPG

By the time I finished the fiberglass work, the ears virtually disappear and it looks pretty good.

P1030963%20(Small).JPG

P1030996%20(Small).JPG

P1050073%20(Small).JPG

Back