What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-Up Side Rail Fit

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
The instructions say to line the 725 side rails up with the outside of the fuselage. Do they mean the 725 itself should line up, making the side skin that attaches to 725 be outside the line of the side skin of the fuselage, or is the intention for the canopy side skin to line up with the fuselage skin (meaning 725 is actually set inside the fuselage line)? I can't tell from the plans if the canopy side skin just sets above the fuselage skin, or if it actually overlaps a little when shut.

I think section F-F on drawing 43 will clear this up for you. The side skirts are meant to overlap, and seal against (or at least rub on), the fuselage side skins.

(ignore the above, I got my canopies confused!)

Last edited:
I think section F-F on drawing 43 will clear this up for you. The side skirts are meant to overlap, and seal against (or at least rub on), the fuselage side skins.
Is that the same for the tip-up? I saw that in the slider drawing, but wasn't sure that it translated over to the tip-up since it seems like an overlap would be ripe for a bent side skin at some point while closing.

Brandon
The 725 will sit just inside so that the skins that you rivet onto them will be flush to the fuselage skin. Just align them with the contour of the fuselage.
I am going to PM you my phone and email. In the last two months I just completed all of this canopy work and I'm attaching my canopy bubble now.
Hopefully I can enlighten you with some of my experience.
A

Back