What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up seal

vbpiper

Well Known Member
At Homecoming, I noticed that the factory -12 has a P-shaped rubber seal at the front edge of the rear window (where it meets the canopy). Does anyone have an idea what size the seal is? Is it available from Van's? I am building a -7A and would like to use this type of seal rather than make a targa strip.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Not sure but it might be rv10 door seal material. Van used small strips of that on the left and right side of the rv12 Instrument panel with a slit cut so the airflow would act to seal them. I had a piece of bonanza door seal that is similar and working well. I'll take a pic and post in a few days.

The tip-up P-seal you can buy from Vans turns out to be the same as the one from Spruce ... white in color, same dimensions.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses, but I guess that I should have worded the original question more carefully. What I was really hoping to find was the dimensions of that particular seal, if it is a standard part of the -12 kit, and if it is something that Van's stocks. I know that Roberta H. and probably some others have used p- seal for this application in planes other than the -12, but I could not find it at Van's web store.
Thanks, again.

Riveting P-Seal

I searched "P-seal" at Spruce's website and it took me directly to some great-looking options. Spruce also recommended using GBL4-4AB black large-flange pop rivets.

Does anybody know the recommended spacing between these rivets? Or do you recommend using adhesive instead?

Bill-- please do post photos

I still haven't been able to get a satisfactory seal in that area. OK now but COLD in December!

Wayne 120241

Picture of canopy seal

My sealing is working pretty well. I used 1/8 in thick foam seal about 3/4 inch wide placed ahead of the canopy bow on the underside of the fiberglass. I used the same stuff on the underside of the canopy rails that lay down onto the longerons. That left the sides. Here is a picture:

IMG_8041.JPG

This was a rather flattish "p-seal" that I had leftover - actually Bonanza door seal. I used black silicone to adhere the flat part of the "P" , round edge aft. Then I cut the round part as shown. A flat piece of 1/2 inch foam was needed at the bottom. The air flow forces out the cut piece making a seal as shown by the finger.

Bill, could you post some more shots of this seal. Maybe a pic. of the seal on the canopy. This looks good.

RV12 Canopy seals

I wonder if anyone else has noticed (it's difficult to spot if you have a passenger) if their canopy tends to lift off the fuselage, on the Starboard side?
Just a few millimetres. Doesn't happen on the pilot's side.
The canopy fits fine on the ground and it isn't until the air is flowing over the canopy you can spot the difference between the two sides ( perhaps creating lift?).
Canopy Latch is fine.
Is it just mine?
Think I will fit a deeper seal to the one I have fitted??

It's not just yours. I had to make a secondary alignment pin that extends through the canopy frame and into the sill. That stopped it from expanding.

RV12 Canopy seals

Dave.
It sounds as if your pin was to stop the canopy moving sideways
Is that correct?
Mine is lifting vertically on one side only.
Is this a known feature?

Back