What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up roll bar too narrow

Maury

I apparently made my jig for the roll bar too narrow for my fuselege, so my roll bar is 1/4 in. too narrow (1/8 in each side). I have come up with 3 options to fix:
1. Buy new parts and start over..$300.00 fix
2. Buy new center strips and splice plates and 1/4 gap in the middle..$30.00 fix
3. Come up with a steel tube type set up using 3/4 in. chrome moly...$?

I'm leaning more towards the 2nd as my welding skills aren't too good, however I've always wanted a TIG welder. :)

My main question is a 1/4 in gap too wide, cometics not with standing?

Rick Maury
Rock Hill, SC
RV-7 SB

Rick: I had the same problem. Built it too narrow fearing I would build it too wide.

I wrote Van's, Ken Scott replying if I recall correctly, told me 1/8 each side was no big deal, open up the bends of the roll bar using a bottle jack or a devise of your choosing.

It worked. I'll PM you his response to me when I get home.

Steven Hild
Belen, NM
RV7, 590SC res, FK

Thanks, I had not thought about. I emailed Van's today also to see what they said.
Rick Maury
Rock Hill, SC
RV-7SB

Bob, in my neck of the woods that is called a come-a-long. I had the opposite problem. My roll bar was about 1/4 inch to wide. I used a hydrolic press to squeeze it in.

Mine was 1/4" narrow as well. I made a spacer for each side with 1/8" bar stock, and them made the glass to fit. Can't tell unless one looks really close for it now that it's done.

10-14-07-010w.jpg

Back