What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tip up reinforcement

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
When do most tip-uppers add the reinforcement pieces on your tip-up? Looking over various buildlogs and VAF posts, I don't see much in the way of consistency.
I've made my initial fit to the forward skin. But the forward skin is not riveted to the frame yet.

RV7355.jpg

I wanted to make the "BIG" cut but started thinking I may be getting ahead of myself. So should the skin and frme and reinforcement kit be riveted solid prior to going any further or making the cut?

hydro

I installed the reinfore pieces during build of canopy frame as per dan c's site. Worked well for me. Since then i have noticed others wait. I was amazed at the stiffness of it once installed and believe it has some ability to tweak, twist things...so putting it on early would be my suggestion. If yu get glass cut and fitted, side rails fitted etc and thing "adjust" then what are you going to do. YMMV but worked for me and canopy turned out pretty darn good considering it only took like 1000 hrs.

After watching a friend struggle with a bad canopy fit I didn't use the aluminum stiffener for fear it would change the frame shape and frankly because I did not like the appearance of the aluminum stiffener.

I got my tip up canopy fitting just like I wanted with the front skin (firewall to canopy) temporarily pop riveted on (using 3/32 soft alum pop rivets--easy to remove). This skin "pulls" on the subpanel after it is installed so it is important it be secure when doing your final canopy frame fit. I then removed the canopy from the airframe, filled the front canopy frame channel with blue aircraft foam/epoxy/glass, let it sit just long enough that the epoxy did not run, reinstalled (wax any places you fear epoxy run), closed and latched with the canopy in proper position, and walked away for 24 hrs. By doing this the cure takes place with the tipper in exactly the position you want and there is not a chance of changing the curvature of the frame during the process of riveting on the aluminum stiffener (which is what happened to my friend). After cure, sand and fill the glass even with the canopy frame channel flange and paint to match the underside of the glare shield---result is a stiff canopy with a stiffener system that is indistinguishable from the frame.

If anyone is interested I will try to post a couple of pics--although I haven't had much luck with imageshack lately.

Cheers,

db

thanks everybody, I decided to let it soak over the weekend.:D then make the big slice and then rivet together the skin, frame and reinforcement pieces.

We're headed to a cabin on Fort Peck Lake(driving) to spend some family time with the kids/grandkids. :)

have a nice weekend
B

Canopy trimming... and trimming....

Don't be afraid to make the "Big Cut", as you'll be trimming it again (and again) afterwords as the canopy then comes into contact with the roll over bar & rear canopy rib.

But the forward stiffener..... since the plans don't refer to the stiffener I didn't pick up on it until late. I didn't have any troubles having done it late (but before match drilling the side rails).

Back