What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up question

Gsuit

Well Known Member
For all of you flying a tip up canopy: Do you find it necessary to use (and should I install) the little piece of angle on the side of the canopy rails?

I presume it is for raising and lowering the canopy, but it seems that the weather seals will cause the canopy to raise enough for fingertips to grip. And couldn't you push down on the canopy top-center while latching it from the outside?

I have one handle on the pilot side and I say it's necessary. Use it all the time. It'll be hard to get your fingers under the canopy sill once the skirts are on. I used screws because I was thinking of desiging a fancier handle someday.

Happy New Year,
Scott

You'll need it.

There are times that I wish I installed one on the right side too because I have to walk around to the left side to open the canopy.

I installed one on each side. Lot easier to push up with a thumb than to try and reach under the sheet metal. I doubt the seal will push up enough. Mine doesn't. If it did, I'd be worried of a lot of strain on the frame and canopy.

This thing is so small, it's hardly noticeable.

Roberta

OK. Sounds unanimous. Thanks for the great response!

Has anyone built some sort of indentation instead of a handle?

Have a Happy New Year!

Has anyone built some sort of indentation instead of a handle?

Not sure how the current plans suggest installing the handle (yes, you definitely need one) but when I was building the tipup for my RV-6, most of the angles were installed on the outside of the canopy frame. I cut a slot in the frame so the angle could be attached inside the frame and only the "handle" was visible outside the frame. It ended up being a much cleaner installation.

Go ahead and install a guide on the passenger side of the roll bar. You will need it to prevent the plexi from being cracked when the canopy is torqued as it is closed. Be sure the guide contacts the canopy frame, not the plexi.

Tip up Handle

Here's another idea for a tip-up handle. I didn't like the way the canopy twisted when only one side was being lifted. The handle is from the slider version. One added benefit is the handle rotates with the lower (inside) handle; it can never get stuck in the closed position.

handleiu4.jpg

Gary
N715AB

Back