What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up lower rear corners

jimgreen

Well Known Member
Seems very easy to catch to rear corners of the tip up canopy on the edges of the top skin. I know some have added guides to help it seat square. I was wondering about trimming the lower aft corners of the plexi instead. Has anybody done this, and if so would you recommend it?

I find that the channel flanges of the canopy rear frame scrape on the edge of the top flange of the seat backs when the canopy flexes when I lift it.

Trying to decide whether to trim the canopy frame and/or seat back flange - or fit plastic guides. The guides are more elegant - but trimming away otherwise useless material is lighter :)

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

tip up canopy edges

I was equally concerned that the two aft corners of the plexi canopy would be compromised. I ended up 'notching' the two corners to avoid the possibility of cracking the plexi on the metal skin.
Getting close to moving plane to airport, so can't say if it'll generate any wind leakage- but at least I don't have to worry about a cracked plexi.

Jim Diehl
RV-7A N891DD
Williamsport, Pa

I don't know how the -7 compares to the -6 tip-up, but on the -6 the side skirt will catch the roll bar if you raise and lower the canopy by one corner.

I only raise it enough to get my finger under the top center, and then lift the canopy clear of the fuselage/roll bar from there before going further. Then I grab the side rail and guide it up into the open position. Coming down, I catch it in the middle at the top again, and guide it down. And that's *with* the delrin guides in place to help keep it straight...

Did all that and was still very careful with the corners only to catch it on my pants and mess the whole thing up. After it was painted. - - Oh well.

Back