What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Canopy water seal "tricks??"

Kenny Gene

Well Known Member
Are there any good, great or brillant ideas out there to seal our front tip ups from a hard rain storm while flying?? Mostly to keep water from getting to the radios and into cabin?? Please post pictures if available.
Thanks.
Kenny Gene
294TC 7A

Mine leaks too. I layed a plastic bag from Van's over my radios, so any water would be directed to the floor or on my legs. I don't care if my legs get wet, but I don't want any more wet radios. Water blew up my transponder.

Thanks for the posts and ideas so far,,, with all our expensive radio's and panels, there will be a great sure cure for the water while in the rain.
Kenny Gene

I do not have a good solution, but rather have a new related question In the kit I got a black 60 inch rubber and a white 50 inch rubber seals. Can anyone tell me where they go? Thks.

The black seal goes on the forward bulk head seal support angle with the fat side forward. The white one (P strip) gets pulled in half along the center seam and each half goes on the underside of the canopy side rail. It may be too thin to provide a good seal however. A closed cell foam strip gasket 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide from Lowes or HD makes a good substitute.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

Thanks Martin - I understand. By the way - where in the instructions/plans did you find this info:confused:
As I live in South Africa your reference to Lowes or HD closed cell strip does not help me, but I understand your concern about it being to thin. I will shop around locally.

Back