What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Canopy Upgrade?

GrayHawk

Well Known Member
After spending a couple of hours searching around & only finding bits & pieces, decided to simply ask:

Current status: 90-91 vintage RV6 with tip up canopy, original straight hinges with skin F-671 notches, very poor leading edge plexiglass to skin instersection finish (wavy thick bondo?), no inside web brace, inside voids filled with bondo?.

Desired (as part of restoration planned): Gooseneck hinges, no skin notches, inside web brace, quality leading edge intersection finish.

What would be involved to get the 'desired' condition? Can a new canopy frame set be used without any fuselage pivot point changes (other than getting rid of the jetison feature)?

The pivot points are not different for the "goose-neck" hinges. You can build a new frame, but be aware it must be a -6 frame. The -7 and -9 frame is different.
Not sure if they ever offered the web bracing for the -6 or not. If not, you can adapt the -7 internal web bracing by shortening it.

internal brace from RV7

I used the RV7 brace on my slightly newer 6A (with the goose neck hinges) and it fit great with minimal modification.

I have a newer Canopy frame with goose neck hinges. The finishing kit arrived with WD-725 frame sides and WD-616 front weldment. Subsequently purchased the -7 frame supports/bracing. So the end result is your probably going to get a mix of -6 and -7 parts anyway!

Back