What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up Canopy side skins

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

Here is a little tip to pass along based on my experience with the tip-up side skin installation.

I decided it would be best to pre-drill the side skins prior to drilling them to the canopy frame. I cut the width to match the distance from the top of the canopy frame side rail to the top of the canopy sill. I measured in several spots to get the proper width. I then laid out the rivet hole pattern and match drilled the two side skins. I then clamped then to the canopy side rails and made sure the bottom edge of the side skin was about .010" above the canopy sill (used a piece of paper as a shim) and drilled them to the canopy frame side rails. Then I removed the canopy frame placed it on saw horses (per the plans) and mounted the canopy glass. I back drilled the screw holes (per the plans). I then disassembled every thing and reinstalled it on the fuselage to check the fit. I was surprised and dissappointed to find that the gap (.010") was now .032" (in the center along the side skin) on one side of the canopy. I started investigating why this was and I saw that once the canopy glass is installed the canopy frame side rail twists a bit which causes the side skin to lift up creating a larger gap. I wrestled with the side rail but couldn't improve the situation. So I made a replacement side skin and left the width greater then I originally had. Then I carefully filed the skin until it fit properly.

To sum it up. Do not cut the side skins to final width until you have installed them on the canopy frame.

Some may say that .032" is good enough, not for my RV.

Paul

Back