What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up canopy side skins & questions

Tbone

Well Known Member
Should the side skins be riveted on first and then the canopy slid down between the two? And should you use any "sealer" between the plexi and the skins? Also what to do about the sticking out "ears" on the tip-up? I have them nearly touching the plexi but not sure on how to stick them down when the fiberglassin' is to be done. One side is worse that the other, not sure why. Seems to me that as the project is progressing it starts to have many issues that have been put off for "later".

The ears ought to lay down if you've notched them enough. Might require a little pre-loading. Some people trim the ears off. I didn't, but that seems like a no-risk thing to do.

Don't rivet the side skirts down. Just use clecos until the canopy is fixed. I don't think you'll be able to slide the canopy in the gaps if it's already riveted. Try putting the canopy in place with the side skirts just cleco'd. I couldn't.

The tip-up is a wobbly pain-in-the-neck right up till it's done. In my view, it is the worst part of the whole kit. Go slow and accept your fate for endless fiddling. Good luck.

Side skin

Hi Terry,

Once all the work has been done, the canopy frame has been painted and you're ready to attach the canopy to the frame for good you will have undoubtably riveted the side skins to the frame (Otherwise the rivet shop heads will need tp be painted). The canopy will have been countersunk and the side skins dimpled for the canopy screws. Just lay the canopy on its frame and starting from the front end gently pull the skins out and drop push the canopy in. It should all slip into place nicely and line up for the screws.

Of course if you're not at this point then just use clecos to hold the skin on till you're all done and ready to rivet and paint the interior of the frame.

Cheers,

Back