What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up canopy side skin installation order?

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
For those who have pasted this way before me-

I am still working on the tip-up canopy assembly and plan on painting the canopy frame before securing the canopy plexiglas in place. I wanted to know if it is possible to rivet the side skins in place and then secure the canopy. My hunch is that it is not possible because it might be difficult to flex the side skins (without damage) enough to slide the plexiglas in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Paul

Unless I pulled off the impossible I riveted the side skins on my tip up 7A and then put the canopy on. I believe that the plans said to do it in that order. Anyway it worked for me but as always YMMV.

Frank @ SGU and SLC.......wiring / fiberglassing...............

did mine after

My side skins were riveted on after the glass was installed. I used my pneumatic squeezer with the longeron yoke (if I remember correctly). Was able to do all but one rivet this way.

side rail sequence

Hi,

We were worried about the rivet before plexi 'insertion'. Our method was to leave off for as long as possible, locate the plexi, then cleco the sides. Drill the plexi etc. After all the shaping / layout had been completed, then rivet the side rails, finish any interior painting, and only slip the plexi into the slot once. Nerve racking, but OK in the end.

Regards,

Carl

Rivet first

I checked my logbook and pics. as I couldb't remember.
Then it all came back.
Riveted the skirts first.
Slid the canopy in by resting the forward edge on the canopy foreskin and then inside the ears and then lowered the back of the canopy progressively and the sides slid into the skirts WITHOUT any difficulty. I even remember squeezing Fullers Ultra clear sealant into the side gaps before we fitted the canopy and it slid in first try.

Besides, I wouldn't fancy doing any riveting on the frame with the plexi in place.
Pete.

Back