What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-Up Canopy rivet side skins sequence w/o plexiglass

KHartman

I'm New Here
Looking to complete canopy work by fall on tip-up canopy for 7A. Canopy is cut, CS, side and rear skins dimpled. I am at the point of riveting the C-603 side canopy skins to the frame. Instructions say to rivet in place. Easy to do without the canopy in it's final place on the frame.

Questions:
Can the front plexiglass be gently slid in place past the #6 dimples with the side skins C-603 riveted in place ? I'm guessing once in it is for good, paint, add the screws and move on.

Second, some of the protective plexiglass covering & tape needs removed around the edges for fiberglass work and fitting. Pull it back a bit or remove all of the covering. Replace it or keep it covered with blanket for future protection ?

Trying not to overthink this.... again.
Thanks

Hey Kevin,

I just did this about 3 weeks ago myself. I riveted the side skins in place without the plexi. I applied black vinyl to the dashboard area under the front canopy at this time also. I had help in putting the canopy in the frame. Where the side skin was a little tight, I used a credit card to gently "shoe horn" it into place. It was no big deal at all. Just inspect the edges of your canopy and make sure that you got all of the nicks/scratches sanded out. I sanded down to 1000 grit which gave me a very nice edge on the canopy.

I just pulled my plastic back from the edges a little. Although I'm excited to remove all of the plastic, I plan to leave it on the canopy until I'm forced to remove it. I'm in a dusty environment and want to keep it pristine for as long as I can.

I keep thinking I'm almost done but keep digging up small jobs to do before I put the wings back on for the last time. Right now, I am working on the gear leg fairings. Everything seems easier now that I have the canopy out of the way. My goal was to finish the canopy by August where I could bank on temperatures well in excess of 80 degrees. Took me most of the summer to do, but at least I know it's done right!

Race you to the end! Enjoy!

Thanks for the Tips

Thanks for the reply. This was my second post and I was wondering if I was missing something. I was hoping for feedback confirming the steps. I riveted the canopy side skins F-603 to the frame and and at the "Now would be a good time to paint" step. I'm using Jet Flex and just primed the frame last night. Thanks to those on the VAF for posting about their experience with the Jet Flex paints and canopy tip up tips. Appreciate taking the time to post.

I'm like you wanting to see the plexi but agree leaving it on till later is a smart option. It's encouraging to hear the project can move quicker after the canopy work. Fiberglass canopy prep is on the for my next hurdle. Sounds like your getting close! I'll be googling the gear leg install hopefully soon. Keep at it and share your progress with the gang. Race is on!;)

I realized that I forgot to mention the paint. I painted the frame and underside of canopy skin with gray PPG to match the cabin. I just primed the side skins then riveted them in place, since they will be painted later with the exterior. I had painted the dash flat black and had used a Scotch Brite type wheel purchased from Harbor Freight to rough up the surface some before paint. Not sure of what that wheel had in it ( probably silicon), but the paint ran away from it. I stripped the paint completely off and went back on with contact cement and vinyl. In the end, I feel the vinyl has a much nicer look so it worked out. It's heavier but I have saved more significant weight in other areas. Make sure and purchase the Delrin canopy lug guide blocks. I'm really pleased with the feel of opening and closing of the canopy. The blocks take all of the alignment error out when closing the canopy. Besides, they were a quick install.

Back