What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up Canopy Rear Window Fit

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
All,

Still slowly struggling through the canopy installation, and I had another question. I've made the big cut. Given there is minimal edge distance on the rear, I am attempting to fit the rear window first. I unfortunately already have the rear top skin on. With the top skin on, it appear there is only about 3 mm of space between the top skin and the center support that runs forward to the roll bar. Given it apears the plexi is at least 4 mm think, it is not wanting to quietly slide under the skin. I am hesitant to force anything, as that seems like asking for a crack.

Question:
Have others experienced this? Was it forced in place, or was the center support or top skin drilled out??

Right now, i am debating between beveling the rear skin or removing the center support to relocate or shim down. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

Scott,

Take a peice of scrap the same thickness and see if you can jam it in there. If it will go then a little force is OK. I found mine was a really snug fit. Once the window is trimmed to the final size, it seems to go in and out fairly easy. If you have to move the support lower, so be it.

-Jeff

This is a bad spot to shim too much as it is designed to transfer load aft from the canopy frame into the rear top skin. Take careful notice when vans redesigns a joint with a bunch of big fat rivets. Shimming in this joint (granted vans design has a shim in there) imparts additional arm into this transfer. Just something to consider. I wouldn't want somebody to think it is ok to shim it way down, like in order to clear the rear window at the center of the brace :(.

You could thin the plexi slightly in the area of the support with some sandpaper.When you are happy with the fit progressively sand with smoother paper up to about 1500 grit. Then take some "Metall" polish and shine it up.
If done properly you will be astounded with the results.
Shouldnt take longer than 30minutes for the whole job.

Practise on some scrap if your unsure.

Back