What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-Up Canopy Questions

Gary's RV7A

I'm to the point of trimming my canopy for a tip-up application on a RV7a. I plan on using Sikaflex to attach.

1) Is there any trimming concerns I should be aware of with this application?
2) How much Sikaflex UV295, Primer 209N, Cleaner 226 should I purchase?
3) Spacer's used to hold the canopy a part when glueing, suggestion/advice (spacing between each one, etc.)
4) Clamping devices used?

Any advice would be appreciated, I've read so much it's time to start doing. The factory (garage) is now insulated, overhead heater installed, and I have no more excuses to start besides time.

Gary,

If you are near West Bend, WI contact me offline and I will come up there and talk you through the SIKA process. Also, you can take a ride in my "tipped-up" -9.

Order minimum of all the SIKA except the adhesive, get 2 tubes of that.

Lot's of clamps. (I can bring you some if you need them)

Biggest concern, the stuff is REALLY messy!

Prep for Sika

I added a spacer on the side rails to offset the inside flange that the canopy would normally touch (don't recall the part number). I added a 1/8" spacer full length to give a gap for the Sika. I also trimmed the rear bow both horizontally (at the center attach) and vertically to provide a 1/4" gap for the glue.
I bought 2 tubes of Sika and that was plenty.
Mask EVERYTHING in the area - as apkp77 noted, things can get messy!

I bonded my canopy in place on the plane - got out through the baggage area. I clico'ed on the outside skirt to hold the canopy sides in place and added the rivets after everything was cured.

repeat offenders

Hi Gary,

Some years ago we glued the tip-up of our -7. You find a complete description on http://websites.expercraft.com/PHVII/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=4570 It is still perfect after 220 hours flying!
In the last weeks we glued the slider of our -7A. It is not finished yet but it looks verrrrrry good :D Description and pictures of the process on http://websites.expercraft.com/phrvp/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=53946
All the best, it is not as hard as you might think. Just work structured and careful and mask everything in sight!

Here is how we did our 7 tip up - very simple, no problems - done in 2 hours.

You need it to fit well before you start.

No spacers - just the triangular bed of Sika under the edges.

Mark where the canopy touches round the front and pipe the Sika onto the inside of that line - settle the canopy down onto it and it leaves a beautifully neat bead on the inside.

Don't forget to put your glareshield material on before you sticj the canopy on. We used black car vinyl glued on with the correct high temperature contact adhesive.

DSC00520.JPG

DSC00536.JPG

DSC00542.JPG

DSC00543.JPG

DSC00545.JPG

Back