What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy question.

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
I am finishing up the back window on a tip up and am having trouble deciding on the best method. The plans talk of an optional 5/8 strip that can be fabrictated for the back of the plexi. Dont seem to have adequate material to fab those and dont seem to see many builders that did, at least that i can find. Any one just finish their rear window? Is this worth making or are washers and nuts adequate? Comments welcome. If you made this strip is it one full piece or did you make several smaller pieces? Thanks for any suggestions.

I made mine in four seperate pieces. I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, it's just how I did it.

WORDS OF WARNING: I used the back window skin as a template. Problem was that I was doing this when the skin was flat on the floor (not cleocoed to the bulkheads). These were just some of the many parts that I made multiple times:eek: Good luck.

Same thing on my 9A.

I made mine in four seperate pieces. I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, it's just how I did it.

WORDS OF WARNING: I used the back window skin as a template. Problem was that I was doing this when the skin was flat on the floor (not cleocoed to the bulkheads). These were just some of the many parts that I made multiple times:eek: Good luck.

I might have ended up with more pieces, and I also remade some before the final fit. Can't remember why the first ones wouldn't fit.

Kent

account for the plexi thickness

if you just make them flat on the floor, you must wait until you have the window in to drill them... i would do it again. i did it in 2 pc. per side.

Hi Rick,

I did mine after the window was in by first making the strip out of poster board and transferring the shape to aluminum (016 or 020-can't remember which). It takes a pretty big piece of aluminum to start if you want one continuous strip due to the complex curvature--I made mine in two pieces. Many use washers only--I just like the finished look of the continuous strip.

Cheers,

db

thanks all

It always amazes me when i find an issue, how fast i can get some help and opinions on what others have done. Thanks Much appreciated.

I used aluminum rivet washers from Home Depot under the tail of each individual rivet instead of aluminum strips - lighter, easier and probably cheaper!
But if you really want to make strips there is always the big D shaped chunk of material that you cut from the rear skin to form the rear window cut out.
Jim Sharkey

Last edited:
Not available

But if you really want to make strips there is always the big D shaped chunk of material that you cut from the rear skin to form the rear window cut out.
Jim Sharkey

The "frugal fellow" in Oregon is keeping that "D" shaped piece of aluminum nowadays, to make other parts. The turtleback skin for my 7 is already machine trimmed.
I know this is a "9" thread vs a "7" but I think the fuselages are 99% identical.

But i cheated

I went quick build...so there appears to be no scraps or strips big enough to make these. I will get some ordered...but i just thought maybe i was missing something or not understanding the end results...as i have very little scrap to work with. Thanks.

Back