What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy problem - 6a

RAY DIESEL

I'm New Here
I have an rv6a, and when you open/close the canopy from one side or the other alone, the canopy twists and gets jammed. Does anyone have any solutions?

The forward part of the canopy was designed to be stiffened. Depending on the vintage of your airplane, this was done by glass/ foam inside the forward canopy frame, or by an aluminum sheet riveted inside the same area. Either one will provide much greater rigidity to the frame. Did you build the airplane or buy it? If you bought it, you might not know the answer, but if you can take a picture of the inside of the forward canopy while it's open, that might help us diagnose.

Also, when opening the canopy from the rear, it helps to push inwards on the lower rear corner of the canopy. Sort of keeps the thing in alignment.

Flimsy=light

Even with stiffeners you will have flex and misalignment. As mentioned above, as you lift from the aft corner, apply inward pressure. I lift from the side just enough to get my fingers under the center of the aft end of the canopy and lift from there. Ditto when closing from the outside.

Even with stiffeners you will have flex and misalignment. As mentioned above, as you lift from the aft corner, apply inward pressure. I lift from the side just enough to get my fingers under the center of the aft end of the canopy and lift from there. Ditto when closing from the outside.

Just one more confirmation of this from my perspective. I'm not sure how you'd take out all the flex, and once you figure out the deal it's not an issue.

I have an rv6a, and when you open/close the canopy from one side or the other alone, the canopy twists and gets jammed. Does anyone have any solutions?

The problem of the flex is in the way that the struts are mounted. The struts are laid out flat. They provide no lift help. You must lift all of the weight of the canopy at least 3 inches before the strut starts to carry any of the load.

The bracket that holds the strut off of the longeron causes the strut to lay down flat. If you can lower the bottom of the strut, it will help carry some of the load of the canopy. I mounted the strut ball on the side of the longeron flange and did not use the bolt on bracket. It was a tight fit, but the strut clears the longeron and it does help lift the canopy... but I still push in just a bit. It really helps when you close it.

I also lift it only far enough to get my fingers under the top center at the back of the canopy, and lift from there. I can get it high enough that both struts take enough load that I can switch back to just holding one side and guide it to the open position.

Closing it, I pull down on one side, catch the top-center-rear point as it comes down, and lower it into place from there.

I have a set of Delrin guide blocks to install but haven't done it yet... Maybe when it gets warmer.

Back