What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy"new gap in flight"

rv72004

Well Known Member
Today during a flight I noticed the side of the canopy [near the front] lifts about 1/8".This only happened on the LHS and not the RHS.
This lets some air in. On the ground the canopy fits perfectly. Im stunned , how/why does this happen?????? The latches are tight and the hinges are good so does this mean the whole thing bends open.??????

Air goes out

IIRC, fast moving air around the outside of the fuse creates a low pressure area and air that comes in thru the cockpit vents "pressurizes" the cabin area, thus air actually flows out of the cabin, not in.

I've noticed this behavior in my (tip up) canopy as well. Just a slight opening in flight where the side rail bends down past the panel. Not sure what to do about it.

A small gap should not be a problem

When I built my RV 6A, I like most of you folks try to be a perfectionist. On doing my sliding canopy the side skins fit perfectly on the passenger side but on the pilot side, I could not get them to fit like on the passenger side. I had about a 1/8" gap. So I asked Van's and they said it was not a problem.

Scott or Gus actually said that during flight the side skins would be sucked out by the low pressure flowing by the canopy (have not flown yet) and that you might even be able to see the wing. So I will have to see.

The canopy shrinks in flight when it cools.

www.mcmaster.com
Search for p/n 1120A712

Works great to seal that gap between the canopy & fuselage along the longerons.

Back