What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up canopy latch & slots

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Merry Christmas to all!!
I am now at the canopy latch stage and cannot see the use for the longer rear slot that one has to cut through the fuselage skin?
Can one not put a spacer (say 032) behind the front part of the latch and angles and leave out the long rear slot?
Any pictures will also help please. I have searched all the posts and have lots of standard latches with the long slot cit.

The long slot is necessary for the handle to come thru when opening the canopy. The front slot is for the latch parts. When the latch goes in then the handle come out of the rear slot. Look a little closer and you will see why. At first glance yes a spacer would work to stop the handle from sitting flush with the outside of the skin but it would never open.

DITTO!

Ditto, ditto, ditto! I just finished building mine and it even works! :D I did question the longevity and need for the UHMW tape, but Gus at Van's assured me that after thousands of uses on their tip up, the tape is still holding up. Hope this helps.

The long slot is necessary for the handle to come thru when opening the canopy. The front slot is for the latch parts. When the latch goes in then the handle come out of the rear slot. Look a little closer and you will see why. At first glance yes a spacer would work to stop the handle from sitting flush with the outside of the skin but it would never open.

Back