What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy hinge pin

For those not using the canopy jettison set up, how are you securing the hinge? Bolt instead of the pin? Safetying the pin?

Thanks for the help,

Roy

I didn't use a nylok nut (AN365) because this is rotating hardware...at least nothing prevents it from rotating...and thus loosening. I used an AN4 bolt with a drilled shaft, and an AN310 castle nut & cotter pin.

I agree...it's EXTREMELY unlikely that a self-locking nut would loosen up in this location. But since that hardware can't be inspected easily (at least not on a regular basis), and since a departing canopy can really ruin your day, I took no chances.

Last edited:
Lock Pin

I used an AN4 bolt with the hole at the end, a couple of washers and an appropriately sized lock pin. Still allows you to pull the lock pin and get the canopy off pretty easily.

Lock pin....

lockpinlm2.jpg

Last edited:
Clevis Pin

hecilopter said:
I used an AN4 bolt with the hole at the end, a couple of washers and an appropriately sized lock pin. Still allows you to pull the lock pin and get the canopy off pretty easily.

Lock pin....

lockpinlm2.jpg

Rusty.. if you use an AN 4 bolt, the threaded portion can rest on one of the bearing surfaces, which is not good practice for a rotating part.

You should use several washers (probably more than 2, not easy to install), but the best solution is an AN394/MS20392 Clevis pin.

2133_c.jpg

gil in Tucson

Back