What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy frame goof - advice needed

SteveHRV7

This tip up canopy is killing me! I already screwed up drilling the holes in the WD-716 forward canopy frame hinge on my 7a TWICE! I chalked it up to a learning error (stupidity) and ordered a new WD-716 frame and skin. Reinstalled it tonight and got the seam between the forward skin and the tip up frame perfect. When I drilled the holes in the hinges of WD-716 I somehow drilled the right hole about 3/32 too high. The right side of the tip up frame now sits up quite high. Is there any way to salvage the frame? Can the hole be welded over and redrilled for instance?

If you have adequate edge distance in your hinges, you can leave it and use a new UHMW block to reposition the frame. The way I did this part was that I drilled my hinge where I had good edge distance all the way around and then drilled my block to match this. Slip the entire assembly as one into place with light pressure so it stays in place while I can still get the canopy frame where I wanted it. When I was happy with the alignment then I drilled the UHMW blocks to the two supporting ribs.

Hope this helps and good luck

Back