What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Canopy Frame Alignment

SteveHRV7

I am installing the canopy rails on my tip up canopy and am having alignment problems.

I believe the "joggle" in the canopy rails are supposed to align with 631. When I do so, the rails sit 4/32 inboard of the fuselage side (even with a piece of 0.032 to simulate the skin thickness).

This picture show the joggle aligned with 631 and the canopy rail sitting 4/32 inboard.

JoggleAligned.jpg

If I align the canopy rail (with a piece of 0.032 attached to simulate the skin) then the joggle sits 4/32 outboard of 631.

SkinAligned.jpg

So - how to fix this... It seems that the joggle must be aligned with 631 so that the canopy fits properly. Can I simply align the joggle with 631 and put some shims between the canopy rail and the skin to bring it out flush with the side wall of the fuselage - or just let the canopy rail/skin sit a bit inboard on the longeron?

Thanks!

Back canopy frame bow looks too narrow

Steve,

I don't recall the part numbers or exact names of the parts but off hand the canopy frame bow (aft frame) should match the roll over frame. It appears from the photo that the bow is narrower then the roll over frame. You may need to replace the splice plate in the canopy frame bow to correct this condition.

I agree with Paul. The bow is narrow. This condition will also interfere with the seat backs when you close the canopy.

Just a side note: It is extremely important to do a lot of fitting and testing before riveting parts together, especially those that interact with other assemblies. Clamps, clecoes, tape, whatever to hold things securely until you are sure that all fits as it should.

Roberta

side rail curve is great...

the side rail curve looks like it matches your fuselage nicely and will work out fine... as others are pointing out the canopy channel is too narrow and the c-704 splice plate will need to be drilled out to get the width correct with a new plate.

Back