What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Tracking ToDos with an iPad and Outliner

ccrawford

Well Known Member
As I approach the tail end of my project, I've found that I have lots and lots of loose ends to tie up. So I started to look for a way to keep track of everything I needed to finish up.

For my birthday last year, my wife bought me an iPad so I spent some time trying various apps to help me keep track of this huge list of items - I wanted something that would let put everything roughly in order and group items together, while letting me modify the list as new tasks were discovered.

The best one I found is called Outliner and it does almost everything I need it to do and it's very simple. Here's a screenshot:

1067576567_MYEn5-L-1.png

Find out more about Outliner here:
http://www.carbonfin.com/

I use it to keep track of tasks, things I need to purchase, and use the notes to capture any research I've done for a particular task - particularly bolt sizes or any specialty items I want use.

It also provides sync capabilities to upload your tasks to the Carbonfin website so you always have a backup and can edit it on your home computer.

Yes, you'd have to get an iPad to use this app - but why wouldn't you want one?!? ;) (I also have all my avionics manuals as PDFs on my iPad too, which has been a very valuable tool!)

Scan in your drawings

I scanned in some of the assembly drawings as pdfs and reference them on the iPad. Very cool!! It sure solves the problem of where to hang up the drawings in a small garage. Too bad they didn't invent this thing back when I started the project.

Thanks for the tip.

Goodreader too

There is a good 99 cent app out there called Goodreader that I've been using in addition to iBooks. I like it because it allows you to catagorize documents into folders and has a few other useful features.

Thats the one.

There is a good 99 cent app out there called Goodreader that I've been using in addition to iBooks. I like it because it allows you to catagorize documents into folders and has a few other useful features.

You can view all kinds of documents with goodreader. I have all my manuals for the radios, GPS, ... in one directory. Then the installation manuals and notes go into another.

It is amazing what I don't know, but can find so quickly on my iPad.:D

Kent

Outliner by Carbon Fin

I've started using this app for tracking the things I need to get done before my RV-3B kits arrive, and it's easy to learn, easy to use and plenty powerful enough. Thanks for this tip.

It would be improved if it were connected to the Calendar app but this is comparatively small potatoes. Outliner does what it's supposed to do. Good one, ccrawford!

Dave

Nice, but..

It looks like a nice app and I did something like that with text files on a desktop computer in the hangar where I built my airplane.

However, I looked over the web site and the app store entry and I see zero information about their obligation to the user with regard to either privacy or security if you use the online features (or if you don't or think you don't). It's one's personal decision, but it's bad enough these days when companies violate their own promises or simply, arbitrarily change them (such as Apple and Google, recently) but these guys are not even publishing a privacy policy.

I'm just saying..

Back