What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Tow Bars

N941WR

Legacy Member
Just a thread for everyone to explain what and how they tow their planes in and out of their hangars.

I bought one of these Cessna Deluxe tow bars from Aircraft Spruce, $49.95. (Same price as my tractor.)

I then rotated the handle 90 degrees and drilled a 2nd hole so the pin that holds the Tee handle in place could be installed to hold handle vertically. After removing one of the rubber cups on the end of the handle and reaming the hitch hole in the back of the lawn tractor, the handle slide right into place.

Pulling the plane is very easy. You can back the plane out of the hangar with the tractor but it takes a lot of practice. What would be best is to weld a hitch on the front of the tractor and push it out forward rather than trying to back it out. For me, all I really need to do is move the plane about six feet and then I can push it out the rest of the way by hand.

On the tailwheel, I have a longer than ?stock? bolt with brass bushings on either side, as seen in this picture. The bolt and bushings were included with the Bell tailwheel. This gives the tow bar something to hold on to.

Back