What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Temporarily securing wire bundles

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
(originally posted on my builder's site)

I've been stringing wires around behind the panel, and experimenting with ways to keep the wire bundles organized as I build them up one wire at a time. A lot of folks do this with tie wraps, but that seems like it could be very wasteful - especially if you're freaky about keeping your wires neat like I am. Every time you need to add another wire to a bundle, you have to clip off the old tie wraps, throw them away, and install another set.

I tried masking tape instead of tie wraps, but I was almost immediately annoyed by how fiddly it was to peel the tape off the wire bundles. So, time for a new idea.

I've had this box, which contains several yards of self-adhesive velcro, laying around my shop for years. I cut out some small pieces and stuck them to each other, so I ended up with a handful of velcro strips with hooks on one side and loops on the other.

20081019_velcro1.jpg

These velcro strips can be temporarily wrapped around a wire bundle to keep it from unravelling, and of course being velcro they come off without fuss.

20081019_velcro2.jpg

Another way to temporarily keep wire bundles tidy is to use twist ties. I made a bunch out of three-inch lengths of some solid-core copper wire I had laying around. The red insulation will help me remember to eventually replace them with actual tie wraps when I'm finished running wires.

20081019_wire_ties3.jpg

As you can see, this helps keep the wires together in neat bundles (but I'm not wasting a pile of tie wraps).

20081019_wire_ties2.jpg

You can even run the wire ties through one of those little nylon tie wrap anchors I love so much:

20081019_wire_ties4.jpg

I've found that I tend to use both methods in conjunction - velcro strips to hold things when I'm pulling a new wire and I just need an extra hand, and twist ties when I'm through adding a wire to a bundle.

Hope this helps someone.

Use bulk twist ties

I found twist ties in large rolls, the packaging even included a handy cutter. It is just like you get with garbage bags but heavier. I think they are used for tying up plants. You can cut the ties to what ever length you want and use it over and over. It will hold the wires in a tighter bundle than twisting a pcs of insulated wire.

I found twist ties in large rolls, the packaging even included a handy cutter. It is just like you get with garbage bags but heavier. I think they are used for tying up plants. You can cut the ties to what ever length you want and use it over and over. It will hold the wires in a tighter bundle than twisting a pcs of insulated wire.

That's a good idea too! I almost went to the hardware store to buy twist ties, but I happened to have a spool of old wire laying around... these improvised twist ties actually hold pretty well, since it's solid wire, not stranded.

Anyway, the lightbulb moment for me was when I realized that you don't have to immediately jump straight to tie wraps, you can use something else to hold wires while you're still building. Maybe I'm just a slow learner. :)

mcb

I used masking tape to hold my wires together, real cheap and worked. After I had all the systems in I pulled the tape and put on the tie wrapes.

I used plastic wire ties.

I bought a bucket of them at harbor freight for about $7. I didn't clip them off to add more wires, I just kept adding more. When there got to be to many just add another around the group and clip out the others.
When it was all done I used either wax thread or Adel clamps and remove the wire ties.

Kent

I used wire ties, but left them loose enough that I could feed more wires in as I went along.

When all was done, zip them tight.

This thread is great - lot's of workable/useful tips!

I have generally used the cheap "bucket-o-wire ties" method, but it's pretty wasteful - I like the ideas to use twist ties, or scrap wire - much more economical - will have to remember that next time. I've converted to liking lacing cord anyway, so temporary stuff is more important!

Paul

Here is another way to keep wire bundles neat and straight while you're working... a couple pieces of foam weatherstrip on an ordinary clothespin makes a pretty nifty little "helping hand".

20090124_clothespins.jpg
20090124_wiring1.jpg

I found it's handy to use these while initially adjusting the routing of a wire, then come back with the twist ties later. Total cost: zero dollars.

mcb

I bought the el cheapo short ty-raps from Stein. You get 100 of them for a miserly $1.25. When assembling a large cable bundle I find ty-raps particularly useful in keeping a wire bundle neat and orderly. My technique for a large bundle is to group the wires in an orderly fashion and then attach a ty-rap and cinch it down pretty tight, but not so tight that you can't slide it. Then put another ty-rap inside first one. This one is the 'anchor' for the bundle you're working on. Slide the first ty-rap out an inch or so, then attach another ty-rap just inside the one you just slid (another anchor). Then slide the original ty-rap another inch or so, and so on. Doing it this way you will assemble a very neat wire bundle. Sliding the ty-rap automatically arranges the wires into a professional looking cable bundle. And at $0.0125 ea, you can afford to cut em off if it ain't right.... YMMV

My technique for a large bundle is to group the wires in an orderly fashion and then attach a ty-rap and cinch it down pretty tight, but not so tight that you can't slide it. Then put another ty-rap inside first one. This one is the 'anchor' for the bundle you're working on. Slide the first ty-rap out an inch or so, then attach another ty-rap just inside the one you just slid (another anchor). Then slide the original ty-rap another inch or so, and so on. Doing it this way you will assemble a very neat wire bundle. Sliding the ty-rap automatically arranges the wires into a professional looking cable bundle.

Now that is a neat technique. I'll definitely use it when I go through and close out all my wire bundles. Thanks for the tip!

mcb

Another method...

...is to use a very short length of spiral wrap.

About 1 1/2 turns works well. Just lift an end to add wires to the bundle and it will spring back and hold everything.

Also completely re-useable...:)

Back