What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Stretching fiberglass epoxy

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
seems most of my epoxy applications used a lot less than a full squirt on the plungers of the 2 part epoxy [west systems]. i made a few ''stops'' out of proper thickness wood. after determining a 1/2 and 1/4 squirt i cut a slot in the wood and it slips around the plunger shaft and the nozzle end bottoms out on it.
probably cut my epoxy use to 1/2 or 1/3.

Throw those pumps away and get an inexpensive gram scale. You can buy one for less than the cost of a pump set. A scale never dribbles on your bench or gives you a partial shot. You can mix any quantity, large or small. You can precisely proportion any brand of epoxy, as well as proseal and paste structural adhesives. And you can use every drop from the bottom of the can.

dan,
seems like the pump is the easiest way to get it into a container to weigh it but since you mentioned it i did have a pump that had always worked ok right up to the point it siphoned every drop of my newly purchased hardener onto the shelf!

...seems like the pump is the easiest way to get it into a container to weigh it..

Condiment squirt bottles, or recycled syrup and honey bottles. Just pour direct from the can when they get near empty.

when i used t-88 epoxy glue for my dakota hawk i got a bunch of plastic syringes. 3,5,10cc. i would cut the barrel of the syringe off at the needle end. then you could fill your epoxy ''container'' to any amount, premarked, and the plunger delivered it quick and easy. THAT was painless.

Back