What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Putting holes in plastic parts

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
Here's a great tip given to me from another RV6A pilot. Instead of drilling stop-crack holes in your canopy, use a RED HOT piece of steel to melt the desired size hole. You could use a nail or some such but I used the SHANK part of a 1/16" drill bit held with a vise grip pliers. Heated it with a mapp torch till red hot and just "poked" a hole through the 1/8" plastic. Remove while still hot and then just remove the plastic burr with any sharp instrument after cooling.

From what I've been told the heat will cause stress points and the canopy will crack in time. I havnt tried but don't plan to either.

Last edited:
Tested 5 years ago

and no problem. Melting relieves stress and creates natural rounding. Further info: the canopy (slider) was in an accident last month and impact from the front roll bar area broke the canopy on the left side 20 x 16 inches which was less than 5 inches from a 10 inch lateral crack in center of canopy that was about 6 inches from the front. The crack was stopped with a red hot nail over 5 years ago. 3 years ago I welded the crack with WeldOn from Aircraft Spruce plexiglass repair kit. I was impressed that the crack repair did not fail. Just one data point, but striking!
Dale
RV6a 1555 hours & likely a retired aircraft :eek:

Back