What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Platenuts

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
With all the platenuts that have to install for new plenum, i found a trick that is a huge time saver.

In the past, I would put a screw/bolt through the hole, screwed it in slightly in the platenut to align a platenut. Then after drilling the attachment holes, I had to take the screw out before going to the next hole.

I put a screw in the platenut and ground the head off. Now just stick the ground off shaft in the hole and drill. Mucho fastero!!!

A variation is to find which size cleco fits the platenut and drill the initial screw hole to that size. Then locate the platenut to the screw hole with a cleco and drill the rivet holes. Finally, enlarge the initial screw hole to final size. I find that doing it this way I can use both hands on the drill motor. I can really speed things up by drilling all the initial holes first, then installing all the platenuts, then drilling all the rivet holes, and finally enlarging the screw holes in one step. Of course, I think I last did that on the empennage fairing for the -6A; everything is pre-punched on the -10 so I haven't had to do it for awhile.

I am with Pierre on this one; Buy a plate-nut tool. Just get the one for the number 8 screws the few other ones can be done the manual way.
I know what I am talking about here, I did three planes without a nut-plate tool, using various time saving screw/clecoe tricks. After I finally got around to purchasing the right tool I have saved hours and hours of work. Not only that, the accuracy is way better, there are never any holes that need to be moved just a little bit one way or the other.
Pay the $ and move on, I wish I had done it earlier.

I got the #6 nutplate jig. After you drill for the #6 nutplate you can always go up on the center hole for a #8 screw. That way you can use the jig for #6 and #8 nutplates. You can't use a #8 jig for a #6 screw. I learned this trick from a previous post on the forum.

I got the #6 nutplate jig. After you drill for the #6 nutplate you can always go up on the center hole for a #8 screw. That way you can use the jig for #6 and #8 nutplates. You can't use a #8 jig for a #6 screw. I learned this trick from a previous post on the forum.

Correct, buy both tools from Avery.

With all the platenuts that have to install for new plenum, i found a trick that is a huge time saver.

In the past, I would put a screw/bolt through the hole, screwed it in slightly in the platenut to align a platenut. Then after drilling the attachment holes, I had to take the screw out before going to the next hole.

I put a screw in the platenut and ground the head off. Now just stick the ground off shaft in the hole and drill. Mucho fastero!!!

:D that's how I did ALL platenuts on my RV. I had mucho time to kill:D now burning all that leftover money...

Well if you have lots of time great, however this is one of the single most time consuming task even with the correct tooling. The platenut tools are cheap and will save tons of hours vs. the non tool method.

I only dislike the tools for two reasons: 1) I have to one-hand the drill and 2) it is not always possible to 'clock' a platenut the way I want with the jig's handle in the way.

Well if you have lots of time great, however this is one of the single most time consuming task even with the correct tooling. The platenut tools are cheap and will save tons of hours vs. the non tool method.

Pat I agree, I love tools too. But to slow the build even more I used hand files and a hack saw :eek: :D

...it is not always possible to 'clock' a platenut the way I want with the jig's handle in the way.
Who says the handle must be attached to the jig? Cut it off if you have to.

xbznmo.jpg

I only dislike the tools for two reasons: 1) I have to one-hand the drill and 2) it is not always possible to 'clock' a platenut the way I want with the jig's handle in the way.

Correct. What I like about the one used as a template without the head on the screw shaft is it is FREE. And to tell the truth, it was Saturday and I didn't have a tool so I made something that works extremely well.

Back