What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Nutty Idea

G Swartley

Well Known Member
http://www.greggswartley.com/2009-12-29.html

This is my little idea. I'm sure most have already had this idea, but for new builders here it is.

Go to you favorite home supply (Aviation Department) and buy some 10-32, 8-32 hardware. while fitting parts use this to temporarly hold it all together. I came upon this idea while working on the flap motor. the sides need to be temp attached with 8-32 hardware, but nutplates are not attached as of yet. I bought a 70 pack of 8-32 Screews and nuts, and 15 8-32 wing nuts which are easyier to hold in tight spaces. I have seen this idea for wing bolts, but not others.

Just a little idea to save you from having to buy extra aircraft grade (Expensive) screws while fitting and refitting things. this could save you from stripping the good stuff.

Hope it helps. Peace Out.

Caution....

....as Paul Dye stated earlier. Mark them with an outstanding color so they don't remain in the airplane after it's flying.

Best,

Especially Nuts

Using locking nuts when you know that the parts will be coming apart several times is a pain. I have a small drawer in an organizer cabinet marked "Slave Nuts" for keeping a selection of plain nuts of various sizes for temporary installations.

I found it best to install the final lock nuts as soon as possible and "fully complete" sub-assemblies before moving on. That way you you are less likely to forget the temporary nuts months or even years later when you come back to finish that detail.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1

Torque Seal

was my solution. Used lots of temp nuts as you suggest. Great idea. But NEVER consider the job done until the proper nut is torqued in place and marked with torque seal or equivalent ( sig. other's nail polish!)... Much easier to QC later.

Back