What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Map & stuff holder

Scott Will

Well Known Member

Back when I was designing the panel, I thought about a map holder but didn't really find the Van's map box feasible for me.

In searching for a place to put my charts, registration and other 'stuff' I made this little contraption. Today I got to install it in the plane for the first time while the winds were howling. It installs on the spar channel cover and the vertical support just ahead of it. Note, I installed about 8 nutplates on the spar channel cover so I could add some map lights. That way I can remove the front face and gain access to the stuff buried in that channel. Works pretty good although I'll probably remake it so that it is deeper and then the charts will fit a little better. That longeron is messing with the charts sitting nicely against the skin.

I'm also going to add a place to put my mp3 player on it as well as the Lightspeed headset controller. That wire you see hanging near the key switch is the 3.5mm input for aux music.

p1020463.jpg

p1020466.jpg

Last edited:
Scott,

I was thinking of doing something like that out of leather left over from my seats but I like this better.

Only, I have already riveted that spar cap in place. I guess I can always drill some holes and pop-rivet it to the cap.

These "chart holders" located in the baggage area are easily removable, held in place by 4 screws and nutplates. Of course they are kind of difficult to reach in flight but the tie down rings, gust lock and other items are mostly stored here.

cd03215pl2.jpg
cd03915lr4.jpg
[/IMG]

Thought about what you did, Rick. While it's a good idea my short arms can't contort well enough to grab stuff in flight. But I still might add it for extra items that always seem to make their way into an airplane.

Little things like this... I often wonder why Vans doesn't include little subkits that add functionality and versatility to their designs. Probably would take them about 5 mins to do in CAD.

Bill,

N941WR said:
Scott,

I was thinking of doing something like that out of leather left over from my seats but I like this better.

Only, I have already riveted that spar cap in place. I guess I can always drill some holes and pop-rivet it to the cap.
Why not just stick it on with velcro? Light weight and more then strong enough to do the job.

Kent

Related Topic

Here's a pic of a Drink Bottle Holder I made from a piece of 2 1/2" PVC pipe.
The holder is between my legs, attached to the front spar cover on my RV-7 and the picture is taken looking aft from around the rudder pedals.
The red is the leather seat with the stick cover in the middle, the cream colour the spar cover.

Pete.
No doubt there will be some humour about my drinking habits.
P.

drinkcontainerir0.jpg

Excellent idea Pete. But I have to admit ... the first time I looked at that picture, all I could think about was Dan's relief tube idea.

Might have to go scope some PVC soon... I assume those two tiny holes are for the screwdriver to pass thru.

Totally screwed

Correct Scott.
I pop riveted it in place and the used the existing nutplates (for the spar cover) to screw it down firmly.
It is a perfect positon, never in the way and easily reachable.
Pete.

Scott Will said:
Excellent idea Pete. But I have to admit ... the first time I looked at that picture, all I could think about was Dan's relief tube idea.

Might have to go scope some PVC soon... I assume those two tiny holes are for the screwdriver to pass thru.

Great idea Peter. I won't ask about the relief tube.

For us 7A drivers, the gear weldment also makes a nice drink holder.
A bottle fits perfectly into the triangular frame.
I also put an adjustable cup holder on top of the center tunnel cover. You can buy them at any auto parts store for a few bucks.

Back