What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Manual Elevator Control Cable

Robert M

Well Known Member
The instructions for the removing the vernier control plunger from the manual elevator trim cable say to: "Pry up the rubber button with a small screwdriver. Work carefully because the button is held with and adhesive and it is possible to damage the handle."

Okay, first of all, the adhesive holding the rubber button in place is the greatest on the planet. That rubber button does not just pry out - not at all. I followed Van's recommended procedure and after all is said and done it was a mess. The only thing keeping that rod in place IS the rubber top. If I had known this to begin with, I would have simply cut a small slit (1/4") in the top of the rubber button and used a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the rod out through the opening. I expect that once the rod is out the slit would close up and you'd never see the opening again, AND the control knob would remain unscathed.

Just an idea!?

I seem to recall I used a trusty X-acto #11 to cut the cap away at the top, removed the rod, and then trimmed the rubber far enough below the top of the knob that I could get a chrome cap in. But, yes, be prepared to attack that cap carefully; they meant business putting it in there.

I carefully peeled back the rubber, removed the rod, planned on getting a chrome cap. Then looked at it and said, "nope don't like it!"

A little lathe therapy later and Wa La, 1 custom elevator trim knob and matching aileron lever.

RV7369.jpg

Glad to see I'm not the only one that was surprised by the difficulty of getting the old cap out. I'm thinkin' they use Pro-seal to glue that sucker in !! :mad:

Back