What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: I now have a bonded slider canopy

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Well, it's been a very busy weekend for me but I can now say that I too have bonded my canopy with Sikaflex. I've looked at a lot of websites and corresponded with a few folks and got enough info to take a stab at it myself. I wanted to share with y'all what I've learned and what info I've gathered. The majority of what follows are tips and techniques that others have used before me. I'm just putting them all in one place for the next guy. I'm going to randomly throw in some pictures as well:

-Masking tape: I played with several different masking tapes. I tried yellow electrical tape, 3M blue paper masking tape, and some very old Permacel P366 plastic tape. All tapes mask pretty well but line created by the paper tape was just a bit less crisp than the vinyl tapes. However, I found the electrical tape much harder to work with due to the fact that it stretches. I leaned toward the Permacel tape, which by the way, appears to be obsolete. Mine has a 2001 date on the roll!

CIMG3474.jpg

CIMG3475.jpg

-I decided to use a very cheap foam brush from the dollar store for painting on the primer. Not a good idea. The foam wasn't very dense and got floppy real fast. I haven't tried denser stuff from a real hardware store but I would imagine that it would work better. I used a regular paint brush for the frame itself and that worked better.

-I bought myself a $9 caulking gun. I've only used El Cheapo caulking guns in the past. Do yourself a favor, spend some money on the gun. I got a dripless one made by a company with the imaginative name of Dripless, Inc. Boy, they sure worked hard on THAT name eh? Anyway, I really like their gun because when you stop pulling the trigger, the caulk stops. No more being a quick draw with your thumb on the lever. It made this easier and easy is what you want.

CIMG3483.jpg

-Lay down the primer in one pass. OK, I said it. It was said to me. Making that happen, really tough! I have one run that looks beautiful, the rest, not so much. When you go over it again, you get brush strokes that no way no how you can get out. Like I said, I was warned and I tried but no dice. I'm not making a show plane so it is what it is.

-You don't need any V tips for your Sika flex tubes. The supplied standard tips work just fine.

-Don't try to pull out the spacers. Cut them small, Crazy Glue them to the canopy, and prime and caulk right over top of them. I used small squares of rubber hose for most of the spacers. They have a wall thickness of a hair under 3/16". Along the sides of the front bow, I used these 3/16" spacers down to about 6" up from the bottom of the front bow. Then, I used a .190" screen door spline next. It's a tube and squishes down smaller than .190". Then, my next to the last spacer was a piece of .125" screen spline. Finally, down at the very botton of the bow I used a piece of 40 pound test fishing line as a spacer. I can't believe that I didn't take a picture of that but you get the idea.

-I cut the sides of the Plexi about between 1/16" and 1/8" up from the side bows. I primered the top of the side bows and the sides of the Plexi. Then, I put a piece of aluminum outside of it all temporarily and ran a bead right there between the top of the side bow and the Plexi. Later, I will glue the side skirt to the Plexiglass.

CIMG3487.jpg

-I found that it was difficult to get the frame right back in the same place as it was previously after removing it. So go conservative on the trimming of the sides of the Plexi. You can always sand some more down just before you bond as I did.

-The Harbor Freight oscillating tool, in addition to be useful in making the BIG CUT, also did the best job of adjusting the side cuts I made to the Plexi. I used the sanding attachment and it sanded quicker than my actual sander. I even used a fine grit paper on it for the final sanding and it did quite well. If I were doing this over like Lars did (sorry Lars, I couldn't resist), and I hope I don't, I'd consider using the HF tool for all the sanding of the edges. It will probably come in handy when I do the windshield.

-I measured the Plexi spread of the frame while it was all clamped up. Using a strap, I pulled in double the amount of the spread and I am holding it throughout the cure. This has worked for others. My Plexi pulled the front and the rear of the frame by different amounts. Check them both.

CIMG3486.jpg

-You can never have enough clamps. I went to the flea market and bought every clamp a vendor had for less than a buck a pop. Metal spring clamps were recommended but I couldn't find enough so I went with the plastic spring clamps. I found that the plastic ones had stronger springs than the metal ones that I found.

-I initially clamped the frame by extending the clamp tips past the bar I was clamping and to the Plexi on the other side. Can you picture that? I did this because the clamps didn't like to stay clamped onto the metal tubes. They would every now and then jump off with a loud bang! I thought for sure they would crack the Plexi but they didn't. However, they clamp much better when the tips of the clamp are on the frame tube. I found somewhat of a fix by taping the ends with the cheap, white masking tape. My white tape has more traction than the blue tape and the clamps don't slip off so easy anymore.

CIMG3485.jpg

-Somebody called Sika, black death II. I concur. You will go through lots of gloves, blue paper towels, and brushes. Don't wear anything that you cherish (like a VAF shirt) when you do this. I cleaned as I went with Plexi friendly kerosene.

If I can think of more tips I'll post them.

I want to thank all those that have given me Sikaflex advice. You guys were a real help. I'd like to thank Lars Pedersen, Bret Smith (who has an excellent web site), Sam Butler, Jim McChesney, Jim Bray, Brian Dal Porto, and my awesome wife Melissa for all the help and advice. You all were so very helpful.

Now, I need to wash more of this "black death" off my hands! :D

Last edited:
Looks like a great job. One tip too late for you now but may help the next person. Don't try washing this stuff off with water, it cures with water so it will set up instantly on your skin. Use a solvent to clean with first.

Congratulations, Kelly, and no offense taken ;)

Adding to the clamp advice, as I believe RVtach wrote, buy as many clamps as you think you'll need, then double that amount, then get 50% more and you'll have almost enough. Seriously. I should've bought stock in the company that makes Pony spring clamps.

More tips

-I struggled a bit with deciding how wide to make the primer lines. I initially thought 2" was good for the center overhead tube but that looked too wide. I came in a bit and ended up with something like 1 1/2" wide there. The rest, I just eyeballed. I wanted the primer to extend slightly beyond the tubes.

-I also tried to figure out when was the best time to pull the masking tape. I think I pulled it a bit too quickly...like less than 10 minutes. I pulled my test pieces after 30 minutes and they turned out fine. Lay down a few test pieces for yourself then decide.

I went out to the garage this morning and all the clamps are still holding and the Sika seems to have turned rubbery. So far, so good.

Kelly,

I should have suggested laying down two layers of tape, one for the primer paint and a second layer for the Sika. You will now need to lay another mask for the final Sika filet to make it pretty.

Good job! It looks great!

And one more tidbit: in thick sections (fillets, for example) it takes a few days to cure through. I wouldn't attempt to mess with the canopy much until next weekend. Learned that through trial and, er, ah... error.

Kelly,

I should have suggested laying down two layers of tape, one for the primer paint and a second layer for the Sika. You will now need to lay another mask for the final Sika filet to make it pretty.

Good job! It looks great!

Yea, a friend of mine suggested that but I forgot about it. Oh well.

Thanks for the report Kelly.

Black Death: yeah, the stuff took four days to come out from under my finger nails. Nice.

Just glued canopy...

And was wondering how those of you who have glued on your canopies handled attaching the C-792 doghouse fairing? I have basically followed Rvtach's method of gluing but it isn't clear to me how you do this part.

Bruce

Congrats on the gluing.

If you make a fiberglass aft skirt like I did, you wont need the doghouse. It's actually very easy to do. Bret Smith has it detailed pretty well on his web site.

If you want to use the aluminum, can't that be bonded to the windshield as well? A friend of mine who glued used the aluminum skirts but he drilled into the canopy frame per the standard instructions. That is where his crack started from!

Probably right

Kelly, I'm sure you're right about just being able to glue the doghouse on but thought I would ask anyway. As far as making Fiberglass skirts, well, I have never tried any fiberglassing. However, I have ordered a practice kit and will see how that goes before I think about making other things. Thanks for the tip!

Back